addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Birth Stories › Home Birth Stories

Home Birth Stories

manda
mandaaufochs
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
Dear Home Birth Friends:

I would really appreciate having a space here to discuss our home (or home intended) birth stories. There is such a tendency in the mainstream to bring up the "friend of a friend whose baby would have
... if they hadn't been in the hospital," I would love a place to read about all the many positive experiences
with homebirth and a place for all of us to post these positive experiences after our births. Many of you have shared your wonderful stories at the meet-up, but it would be nice to be able to read them here for when we are in need of a positive reminder of what this is all about.

What were you expecting? What happened? What was better than you had dreamt of? What was harder? I would love to hear these stories and I look forward to sharing mine once my baby is born in November.

Thank you for sharing!

Manda
A former member
Post #: 1
HI! I guess this a great way for all of you to get to know me. I have had 5 homebirths, with36 coming in October. I have to say that one of my babies was born at 17 weeks still. But in my opinion, I gave birth to her at home anyway.

My first pregnancy was a planned homebirth. My Dh and I were very excited to plan this and have such an intimate experience for our first child. Victoria was born after 12 hours and 1 hour and 20 minutes of pushing. I might add on her due date. As I moved thru each stage of labor, I was helped and guided calmly and caringly by the midwives in attendance. Sure, I screamed and was in some pain, but it was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. I learned ALOT about myself and how to look to others for support.

My second pregnancy was a year and a half later. I went 14 days past my due date with a weeks worth of do nothing contractions. Finally, I asked the Midwife to strip the membranes and that really didn't do anything- right away anyway. That was in the morning of July 3rd. By 9 pm that evening I was suddenly racked with transitional labor! There was a severe storm going on and dh says " I ordered a pizza, wanna go with me to pick it up?" I said, " Sure, we can call the midwife and tell her to be on her way so she can deliver this baby and have some pizza with us" Catherine graced us with her presence merely 4 hours later. Born on the 4th of July and the day before her Daddy's birthday she is definately our firecracker!

When I was pregnant with my third Daughter, Daniella. There was no doubt in my mind about birthing her the same way. She was such a relaxed labor and delivery! 16 hours and it went by so quickly! I made lunch for the midwife and had a nap. Dh worked in the yard as it was this lovely April day that Chicago is known to have on occasion. My dh came in and said" I'm going to pick up Chinese, I'll be right back." to which I replied, "No, you're going to help me push this baby out , Send your Sister" She came out screaming 15 minutes later and I got to eat nice, hot Chinese food!

Our fourth pregnancy started off typical for me. Lots of morning sickness and achey. But when I went for my first visit I knew something was wrong. We got a good heartbeat, but I bled alot from the internal. Then it wouldn't stop. Finally, it did. but a week later it started again. I thought I was having a miscarrage. I had an u/s done and found full placenta previa. No Home birth for me unless it moved up. Full bed rest with 3 other children. Well, the bleeding never completely stopped and the baby wasn't getting enough nutrition. It passed. My placenta abrupted and I went into labor and delivered quietly by myself and then went to the hospital for a D/C. They told me I didn't need one and sent me home. Three days later I hemorraged and nearly died on the bathroom floor . They did the D/C then. With the experience I had, it solidified my choices in educating myself and knowing I made the right choice to continue to birth at home.

When I got pregnant 7 month later. We were estatic! That loss was so hard on all of us. Natasha was born in December so close to Christmas. Her labor was an intense 4 four hours that I barely remember. The midwife almost didn't make it and my MIL helped catch her head. Everyone in the house had the Flu, so Dh was puking outside and I was puking in the bathroom. Quite an event! But it helped us heal and we knew we had made the best choices for us. My Daughters fight but are very close because they can share those first few minutes of life together.

I hope this is what you're looking for. It's who we are!

Diane
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi my name is Maria I have three children. Last night me and my husband found out we will be having number 4. My first two were hospitals births nice but very invasive and uncomfortable. My third was a home water birth. I had a midwife name Tracey she was an absolute dream. I went into labor alone and gave her a call at the first sign of contractions, of course I was freaking out because I was alone and this was my first home birth. I got in touch with the mw and she explained step by step what to expect. My husband came home and filled the pool and we sat and relaxed and did chants. After two hours the m/w arrived and began doing her wonderful work. She had herbs for me to bathe in and herbs to stop the bleeding, because I often bleed heavy after the pregnancy. After checking on me and my husband she left so that we could labor alone. After the next hour or so she came back and the wonderful redemption of birthing began. For the first time in my life I owned my body, my child and my delivery. Tracey went with my body constantly assuring me of my oneness with my body and child. Shortly after 4 hours of labor I gave birth to a nine pond baby boy. Tracey stayed with me until I was done bathing and she cleaned the birthing area for us so that we could immediately get into bed with the baby. She came back for post birth check and all. My son is now 2 and very healthy. I am so glad that I chose to have a home birth and that I had the pleasure of experiencing my first with such a wonderful and dedicated midwife.
A former member
Post #: 1
Well, my fifth daughter made her appearance on November 4th in the early morning hours. My Mom and MIL and of course Dh was there to coach me and support that 5 hour labor and delivery. My very good friend with 5 boys of her own was there for support and photos. The Midwife who was here was fantastic and I truly appreciate her guidance and time. She was on her way out of town and stayed until I was OK on my own. She's gone on to another state like all the other good Midwives.

Francesca was 9 lbs even and 21 inches long. She had a nucal cord and slight shoulder dislocation. She is now 4 months old and 15 lbs and 26 inchs long Thriving on Momma's milk.
love struck

Diane
Valeria
DoubleV
Vernon Hills, IL
Post #: 5
The Midwife who was here was fantastic and I truly appreciate her guidance and time. She was on her way out of town and stayed until I was OK on my own. She's gone on to another state like all the other good Midwives.
Diane, congratulations on your new daughter!
Was that the midwife I referred you to?
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 192
I believe she meant moved out of state due to regulatory problems with midwives. Maybe she just wanted to move. I would caution anyone who is looking for a home birth midwife to check all qualifications as there is no licensing or regulation of non nurse midwives in IL. This means anyone can call themselves a midwife. Find out where they got their training and check with me if you have any questions. I know most of the midwives in IL.
I was a home birther myself and support home birth 100% with a well qualified and trained practitioner.
--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
BirthLink.com
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com
Jasmine S.
user 11061432
Prospect Heights, IL
Post #: 8
Hi... I attended a meetup in August or September (can't remember exactly) and it was wonderful! Went on to have a great homebirth in November of this year. A little background... my first birth was a midwife-attended planned hospital birth. I was induced about a week after my "due date" for high blood pressure. The induction was 51 hours and 39 minutes long. Had an epidural after about 40 or 45 hours so I could get some sleep. Finally consented to a c-section for "failure to progress" and my midwife suggested that I go ahead and try pushing (she said I was dilated to around 7.5) to see what would happen. Two hours later my 10 pound daughter came out. I was so relieved to have a vaginal delivery, but disappointed that I had the pitocin, epi, and never truly "went into labor".

The second time around I decided on a homebirth. As it got closer I was more and more nervous that my body just wouldn't cooperate and wouldn't go into labor. The day before my due date my midwife, Hillary Keiser, asked if I wanted to be checked and I agreed. I was 3cm and 50% - she felt I was close to going into labor. My baby was big and my blood pressure a little elevated, and even though I really, really wanted to wait for my body and baby to go into labor on its own, I was getting impatient. So I asked Hillary if my husband, who is an acupuncturist, could start doing some induction treatments, which she OK'd.

Mike (my husband) did a gentle induction treatment that night and I woke up all night long with contractions coming every 10 minutes. They were strong enough to wake me, but not painful. I kept wondering if it was labor starting, but the contractions never got stronger or closer together. The next morning (my "due date"), they went away and the whole day I only had a couple of contractions.

That night around 7pm Mike gave me another induction treatment and the contractions started again shortly after that. They were coming every 8 to 10 minutes, and starting to feel a little stronger, but I was worried it would be like the night before and they'd just go away again at some point. At 11pm I took a short bath and then got ready for bed. I decided to time a few more contractions before going to sleep just to make sure they weren't getting any closer together. The first set of contractions were six minutes apart, the next one was five minutes later, and then four minutes later another one. We quickly called the midwife. I'd had contractions on and off for weeks but something inside me just knew that this was the time to call. We called Hillary at 11:30 and she said she'd have someone come over right away.

We started getting the tub set-up and brought out all the birthing supplies. I was excited and trying to help, but the more I moved the more intense the contractions, so finally I just had to sit in the corner and shout instructions to Mike. He was running around like crazy, and he NEVER moves quickly. I told him to slow down - we'd be at this all night. It was a good thing he was moving quickly!

It's hard to know exactly, but I'd say that at around midnight my contractions started getting really intense and then at around 12:30 my water broke. Hillary called shortly after that and said she was very close. When she heard my water had broken she told Mike to tell me to lie on my side to slow things down a bit so I wouldn't start pushing. Hillary got there at maybe 12:45 and I got into the tub. She said I could start pushing when I wanted to. I was going a little crazy at this point. Rita, the other midwife, arrived shortly after Hillary. I started pushing, according to their records, at 1:05. The pushing hurt and I was terrified that I was in for another exhausting two hours of pushing, but Hillary told me I only had a few more pushes and the baby would be out. So I pushed with all my might and the baby shot out of me like a little torpedo in the water! Mike, Hillary and I all reached together and grabbed the baby and put the baby on my chest at 1:16am. Shortly after that we looked and saw that it was a boy!

In the last few minutes of labor my mom arrived with my two year old daughter (my daughter was sleeping over at grandma and grandpas). My daughter got scared during the pushing so they weren't in the room when Dean was born, but came in right afterward. My daughter got into the tub with Mike, Dean and me, and we all bonded and shared a very special time together. I birthed the placenta then got into bed where Dean nursed for two and half hours straight. Hillary and Rita cleaned up EVERYTHING and waited patiently for Dean to stop nursing, then did his newborn exam. Then they left and we all slept for the rest of the night.

It was amazing and the most empowering experience of my life!!!
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 260
What an awesome story! I thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us. What a difference from the first experience! What a brave mom and dad you were! I hope you will come to the Sharing Birth Stories event in March! It will be at Birthways in Chicago - Ravenswood. Just check the calendar.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com