The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Referrals › Home First - Anyone used them?

Home First - Anyone used them?

A former member
Post #: 172
I just found a practice called Home First that I will be interviewing in December. They are a group of doctors who provide homebirth. I have to say that I'm shocked that this even exists. Has anyone heard of them or used them? I was told about them through a friend of a friend who said she's delivered with them, but that was 20 years ago. I honestly didn't even know that IL had any legal homebirth providers because I've had such a hard time finding anyone who'd agree to it. None of the midwives I've spoken with do them.

I'm not even TTC yet, but after my c/s and hard-fought VBAC, I know now that I have to be prepared loooooong before I ever get pregnant again. If anyone has any information about Home First, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you in advance.
Venessa T
user 7599308
Chicago, IL
Post #: 123
I haven't given birth here, but you can also check out A Woman's Place in Lincoln Square if you are still shopping around. They are CNMs who attend both home and hospital births.
A former member
Post #: 174
I haven't given birth here, but you can also check out A Woman's Place in Lincoln Square if you are still shopping around. They are CNMs who attend both home and hospital births.

A Woman's Place only attends Hospital births of VBAC - no homebirth option through them if you've had a prior cesarean. Bummer.
Megan
user 6438867
Park Forest, IL
Post #: 3
I just had my first baby with Homefirst in August. The care I received was excellent. My daughter's birth was long and difficult but I had wonderfully supportive care throughout - both from the Homefirst staff and the doulas that I was able to find through them. I also like the continuity of care that is available from them. The same doctor that I had most of my prenatal visits with and who delivered my baby is now my daughter's doctor, and continues to be mine as well. The only downside for us is that the doctors do not have hospital privileges at our nearest major medical center. When our daughter wound up in the ER with jaundice at 4 days old however, I was able to consult with them by phone. Overall though, I cannot say enough good things about them.
Venessa T
user 7599308
Chicago, IL
Post #: 142

A Woman's Place only attends Hospital births of VBAC - no homebirth option through them if you've had a prior cesarean. Bummer.

Really? Thanks for that info... good to know. Bummer indeed.
Venessa T
user 7599308
Chicago, IL
Post #: 143
Out of curiosity, do you know if they attend VBACs if you have already had one or more successful VBACs?
Courtney
user 2725888
Grovetown, GA
Post #: 6
Hi! I think they do VBACs if it isn't your first VBAc, but I am not 100% positive on that. We did used to see them for our primary care and I really liked the docs. Their office staff leaves a lot to be desired.

I had a wonderful homebirth with the midwives from A Woman's Place. I know they don't do home VBAC though so if you decide on a hospital birth I would highly recommend them. There is another midwife in Chicago named Sarah Simmons. I have never met her but have heard that she does home VBAC.

Good luck.
A former member
Post #: 205
Out of curiosity, do you know if they attend VBACs if you have already had one or more successful VBACs?

I am the nurse-midwife working at homefirst part time. Yes, we will do VBACs if you have had a successful vaginal birth since then.

Why is the first VBAC riskier than a second?
Shannon
shanahan1327
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 9
I'm pretty sure Sarah Simmons does any VBAC's - and I thought A Woman's Place would also, if you had at least 1 successful VBAC, but I don't know that for sure...
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 80
As president and founder of BirthLink.com I suggest that you take a look at our on line directory to see the resources we have avaliable for birth and family care. As for home birth providers I suggest that you interview at least three practices to get a real feel for what they have to offer and how much they charge. I believe that the rates vary a great deal. You can also learn about the midwives model of care at http://cfmidwifery.or...­.

I also offer private consultations for birth options planning. I know all the home birth providers personally and have been doing this work for 12 years in the local area. My background is in education and I am also a certified Asian trained traditional shiatsu practitioner.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg
President & Founder
Birthlink.com
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com