addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Homebirth FAQs › Anyone have a home birth with United Health Care?

Anyone have a home birth with United Health Care?

A former member
Post #: 374
Or failing that, anyone denied a home birth by their insurance but went ahead anyway? I'm not sure which way this is going to go. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 2
Mandy, what ever happened with UHC?

I am birthing with the midwives from A Woman's Place and have UHC. I have a PPO, so at least they will cover it at out of network rates. My plan has homebirth as a covered benefit, but no in-network providers. I have requested an in-network exemption that has been denied twice.

Just wondering how you made out!
Jo Anne L.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 126
The decision to have a home birth has many variables. About 50% of the time people seem to get insurance coverage. Many of the midwives have discounts for people who pay out of pocket and start early in the process. The average cost is between $3500 and $4000 for the home birth in our area and this includes ample time for prenatals. I have heard of one person who actually got her HMO to pay on the technicality that they are supposed to offer all kinds of care. She worked for the industry and knew how to work it to her advantage. It just shows what can be done. Sometimes if you are a pest, and have the time and energy, you can get coverage against the odds. If you simple call and ask the first person you speak to they may not know but will tell you no. Speak to a supervisor. You also can get help with this from the midwives who have their own ways of getting coverage. Always ask the provider what they think the odds are you will get coverage. Different midwives often take different coverage though I don't advocate choosing care based on the this. Some have a service that will help with processing. I hope this helps.

Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175
Evanston, IL 60201
A former member
Post #: 54
I did (but in NYC)...they covered the whole thing.

Feel free to contact me directly...

Best of luck!