Greetings fellow IA/UX Chicago folks!
As you may or may not be aware, Peter Posen (who did a fantastic job - we wish him the best of luck in his new adventures!) has moved out of Chicago and accordingly passed the flame for our Meetup group. I want to introduce myself as the new Organizer for our group (as well as my co-conspirators at AKTA Web Studio) and solicit some ideas on how we can get an engaging Meetup group activated.
Below are some ideas we came up with for how might structure various meeting types. We have a lot of members and my goal is to make sure folks can engage with the group in a way that goes beyond just watching a speaker and having a few drinks (love that too, though). I am hoping to gain some feedback over the next week or two on my ideas and also looking for other ideas to incorporate. Please feel free to reach out to me directly or to message the whole group.
AKTA is a great space and happy to host events. If you know other studios or great places that may be interested, please let me know.
Please feel free to sound off on what sounds fun, what doesn't, and what ideas you may have. We will plan to send out a schedule of upcoming meeting invites over the next couple weeks!
- Content Curators
- 10 people post relevant articles (found or made) each month between meetings to the meetup - get conversations started, potential for ideas on specific meetings.
- Volunteers are solicited at each meetup for article submission.
- Product Competition
- Bi-weekly event lasting three weeks
- Pitch to teams about process
- Teams of 4-5
- Hosted at AKTA or otherwise
- 4-5 hours max split over a few sessions
- Publish for later on Meetup!
- Book Review
- 2-3 presenters give 5 minute overview on a recent awesome book
- Volunteers selected at meeting for next Meetup
- Application Review
- 2-3 presenters give 5 minute overview on recently favorited application
- What’s so awesome about the experience?
- What could be done better?
- Traditional style event for presenter of big-name products, visionaries, etc.
- Process Chat
- UX Companies can present various methods for processes in the UX/IA design process
- end-to-end process
- Design presentation on ANYTHING - broaden your design perspective!
- 15 minute presentation
- 10 minute Q&A
- PechaKucha - style
- Conference Roundup
- Engage speakers who have attended design conferences to share with group
- Product Pitch
- Ever want to be on a board to see a pitch? Ever wanted to pitch but can’t get VC’s to hear you?
- Pitch to a UX team; get some UX help and refine yourself fool.
- Communication / Networking
- What inspires you?
- Hot potato-like game where individuals are passed a baton around the room. Participants who receive the baton have to cite some recent inspiration that positively affected their work.
- Where you been?
- Quick 10 minute (in total) update from all participants.
- Where have you worked?
- Size of companies
- Where do you want to work but haven’t?
- Post me your jobs that you can help someone get. Post deck for people to see and who to contact