The Chicago Math Meetup Group Message Board › Math classes for free

Math classes for free

Miguel A
Miguel_A.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1,117
Anybody interested in attending free Math classes?

What are your preferred topics?

Miguel
A former member
Post #: 1
I'd like to (depending on schedule). As for topics, anything would be fun!
A former member
I would love to know more about differential equations and applied mathematic.
A former member
Post #: 4
Anybody interested in attending free Math classes?

What are your preferred topics?

Miguel

I'd be interested in some analytic number theory. I studied some of that stuff a while ago, but I'd like to better understand the Riemann-Zeta function, and that sort of stuff. I think it is cool how you can apply complex analysis to number theory, and I'd like to study some more of that kind of stuff.
A former member
I'd love to talk about category theory and lamda calculus. Thanks !
Bryce
user 11813284
Lisle, IL
Post #: 13
I've been meaning to study Knuth and Patashnik's Concrete Mathematics - it's about solving recurrences and generating functions (among other things).

I'm interested in all of the topics mentioned above as well.
Miguel A
Miguel_A.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1,118
Next question, anybody willing to "teach us"? We could organize it as a series of talks by people who know a subject, or who are willing to study it (teaching is a great way to learn too), and then tell us what they know or learned.

I have a friend interested in principal component analysis (among other subjects) and I was willing to prepare a few talks about it - perhaps starting almost from scratch: linear algebra (linear spaces, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, etc.), and statistics (mean, variance, correlation...).

We need also a location, and agree on a day and time - how about Saturday mornings?

Miguel
Bryce
user 11813284
Lisle, IL
Post #: 14
Saturday mornings works for me.

I'd like to give talks about cryptography and generating functions, if there is interest.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think it's a great idea if someone gives a short presentation each session followed by a discussion on the topic. I'd be happy to give a presentation on Category Theory.
Friday afternoon is the best for me but I guess it's not the case for most of people.
A former member
Post #: 2
Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon are good for me and all these subjects seem interesting to me.