Format: Each gathering will focus on a particular process. I will do a short presentation and demo and then the group will spend the majority of the time in practice, with sharing at the end.
To support me in spreading NVC, I request a financial contribution of $10 - $20 per gathering and welcome contributions outside of the range - at whatever level feels joyful to you to contribute. A portion of this will go to the creation of a scholarship fund for future workshops.
Please arrive between 6:30 pm and 7 pm. For continuity of the group, no one will be admitted after 7:05 (buzzing people in is too disruptive for me.) Please allow extra time for parking. Also accessible by bus, Red Line, and Metra.
I will encourage you all to practice between meet-ups to deepen your learning and integration of this work in your daily life.
Detailed Description of Group:
The primary focus of the group will be to learn/practice processes that I've learned over the past 4 years in the Mediate Your Life program with John Kinyon and Ike Lasater. Through this program, I have been able to move from a conceptual understanding of NVC to a deep integration of the skills and consciousness into my life (see my bio below.) I am thrilled to be able to share these processes and this learning approach with you!
My vision is to grow a community of people who are committed to deepening their communication and relationship skills, as well as those looking for personal growth by increasing awareness of their own inner landscape.
No NVC (Nonviolent Communication) experience is necessary. Explorers and experienced NVCers are welcome! My intention is to present intermediate-level processes in a way that beginners will enjoy and more advanced learners will also find challenging.
This group is for you if any of these apply:
• You are committed to increasing harmony and deep connection in your relationships
• You are committed to exploring your inner experience
• You find relationships confusing and don't even know where to begin
• You find it difficult to live in harmony with your values
• You are curious about what Nonviolent Communication is
• You value a practical approach to relationships
• You would like to integrate the concepts of NVC into your daily life
• You want to meet other people who share these interests
Some specific topics I would like to cover:
• triggers and strong reactions - learning to respond instead of react
• inner critic, inner mediation between parts of self or voices
• decision-making and getting "unstuck"
• judgements of others
• learning to express authentically
• learning to listen to others
• the power of requests
• specific contexts (couples, workplace, family, etc.)
• (other topics upon request including 3rd party mediation)
My intention is to customize the topics to fit the interest of the group.
A bit about me:
I have been studying NVC for about 6 years and have been immersed in the Mediate Your Life program developed by John Kinyon and Ike Lasater (mediatoryourlife.com) since the fall of 2009, as a participant, a coach and now as a trainer for the 2013 East Coast Immersion program. In addition to training, I provide conflict coaching (inner and interpersonal), mediation and project management support to individuals, couples and organizations.
My prior career was as an engineer in the corporate world. I enjoy providing a very structured yet deeply personal and authentic environment. I value the very practical and learnable approach John and Ike have taught me and look forward to sharing this approach with the local Chicago community!