I thought that it would be of interest to point out a number of recommendations about the proper use of mailing lists, message boards, and other means of electronic communication through Internet developed by people with long experience on the subject. They can be easily found by searching terms such as "netiquette", or "netiquette guidelines". E.g., this is an old document about the subject:
These are a few selected recommendations:
- Don't send large amounts of unsolicited information to people.
- Don't get involved in flame wars. Neither post nor respond to incendiary material.
- If you are caught in an argument, keep the discussion focused on issues rather than the personalities involved.
- When replying to a message, include enough original material to be understood but no more. It is extremely bad form to simply reply to a message by including all the previous message: edit out all the irrelevant material.
- Avoid sending messages or posting articles which are no more than gratuitous replies to replies.
- Use mixed case. UPPER CASE LOOKS AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING.