The Chicago Social Dance Meetup Group Message Board › How can Chicago Social Dance Meetup be what YOU want it to be?

How can Chicago Social Dance Meetup be what YOU want it to be?

Carey Tyler S.
user 11079586
Des Plaines, IL
Post #: 49
How can we make Chicago Social dance better for YOU??

First I want to make sure you know about our latest meetup, this Saturday in Des Plaines. This is the group that used to meet at the Leaning Tower YMCA. http://www.meetup.com...­

Please respond to questions below; just hit "reply" and type in as little or as much as you want, starting with the most important question (additional details below).

1. Where are some specific places/times where YOU would like to have a meetup?

2. Good Time Charlie's is free the first time you go. A few intermediate dancers, many beginner, and some not doing ballroom dance at all. No matter what your experience, you will get to dance. They did a line dance every 20 minutes or so, and played music suitable for Hustle, East Coast, West Coast, Cha-Cha and Rumba, and more.

3. What kind(s) of dancing do you want? Only swing? Latin? Country Western? All? A mix of..?

3. With and/or without a lesson included?

4. Beginning and/or intermediate level dancers?

5. What areas will you go (or not) to dance? Only in the City? Downtown? Western Suburbs? Near wisconsin border?

6. How much advance notice do you generally require? a few days? 6 weeks?

Additional details, if you want to read them, follow (numbers match the questions above)

1. Locations: Such as a specific park district or ballroom studio. Times: such as "only Tuesdays and Fridays" or "never on Friday" Dances at professional ballroom studios, where there should be teachers you could dance with a few times, but the dancers may expect you to only dance figures in their syllabus? Free, outdoor dances, like summerance?

2. Good time Charley's: I had no feeling at Good Time Charlie's that anybody wanted to do anything but dance, unlike Thunderbird where many seem to be go just for a hook-up. It could be a very good location for those who have had little or no ballroom/swing experience, as some people dance "unstructured", that is, just standing near their partner, moving in time to the music, or even in groups. I also saw a few doing CW Two Step, foxtrot, jitterbug, samba, mambo and Salsa. They did a line dance (pattern dance) waltz, with some of us doing social waltz around the outside. I danced with several women who professed no prior experience and all but one followed my leads pretty well. I think they take requests, so the mix could be different if YOU want something different. Their friday dances are about 15-20 minutes south of where I-88 and I-294 cross. www.gtcsingles.com

5. This *IS* a popularity contest. If one person says Elgin, Rockford or Joliet, sorry, I won't follow up. If six do, I'll find a dance, though I might ask for somebody else to host an event in Rockford or Joliet.