Chicago Writers Network Message Board › Submission length

Submission length

A former member
Post #: 1
Six of us showed for Critique Time on Tuesday night and had (to my mind) a very useful session. However, we wanted to get Terry and Bonny's input on the 3,000-word limit for submissions. Five of the six of us are working on novels, and I believe all of us would have preferred to read a full chapter of one another's work rather than a portion of a chapter.

I understand that there may be issues with not getting through submissions in the time allotted. If this is the case, then not having a set word count would obviously aggravate that problem. Any proposals for working around this issue? For example, could a person post an entire chapter provided they were limited to getting reactive critiques of, say, three minutes (or whatever) each? Those of us who want to do a more in-depth session focusing on novels could obviously break off into a subgroup, but I'm just wondering if we could address the issue in the context of the current rules.

Thanks.
rebecca keller
user 51130222
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I am a newbie so perhaps out of line, but i can see that the relatively low word count might make it difficult to submit the material I'd like feedback on. So hopefully people won;'t think i'm overstepping, but
couple thoughts occurred to me when i saw this post. Perhaps a regularly scheduled meeting--every third meeting say, could be dedicated to doing fewer crits to allow for more reading/writing? Or maybe the meet up could be a half hour longer? or--if he issue is the time it takes to read longer posts, since many are working on longer pieces, they would probably not object to reading longer pieces by others.
Finally--what if one person/week was allowed to post a longer piece? (people could sign up or take turns...)
Hope i'm not put of line posting this, even tho I'm new
Rebecca