add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Chicago Chess Message Board › Chicago Open

Chicago Open

Jae L.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 47

The 16th annual Chicago Open will be this weekend and I'm playing in it. I'll only be playing on the 1500 and under section because of my low rating and I expect to do pretty decently, here's the info in case anyone might want to spectate.

Friday May 25 -- Monday May 28
at the Doubletree Hotel In Oakbrook
1909 Spring Road, Oak Brook, Illinois, 60523

Chess tournaments are not usually on an elimination basis, so everyone plays all seven rounds, here are the times when they start. The games are usually very long, the time control is 40/2, SD1 which means my first 40 moves must be made within 2 hours and afterwards I'll have an hour sudden death, there's nothing sudden really about it (unless you're actually playing I guess) and this comes to a total of a possible 3 hours per player (yeah that's just time on your clock so your opponent has the same time on his) so a total possible playing time of 6 hours per game (they rarely go that long though.)

The Schedule:
Round 1 7:00 PM Friday
Round 2 11:00 AM Saturday
Round 3 6:00 PM Saturday
Round 4 11:00 AM Sunday **(I'll be taking a 1/2 point bye to attend church)
Round 5 6:00 PM Sunday
Round 6 10:00 AM Monday
Round 7 4:30 PM Monday

Here's a link to a useful article if you have never been a chess spectator.

Whether you come out to cheer on some of our meetup members who are playing, or just to spectate, it's a good idea to check it out. You can probably pick up a game in between rounds and there will be faster games for the people on accelerated schedules. Peleg suggested that if someone would like to organize a carpool, it might be easier for people to go together.
user 3929525
Chicago, IL
Post #: 17
sounds good!
I wish I knew before, I would have participate.

I want to come to spectate (and route for you of course). What about going together on Saturday or Sunday?

Jae L.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 48
you can still register on site, unless you have some schedule conflicts.
user 3929525
Chicago, IL
Post #: 18
In fact, schedule conflict :-)

Joshua P.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
I will be there -- playing in U1200.
A former member
Post #: 11
So how'd everyone do? smile
Jae L.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 49
Well, from the lack of replies (for me,) pretty badly, for the whole story come to this week's meetup which by the way will be blitz tournament night.