Chicago Euchre Club Message Board › Chicago Euchre Meetup - Location Suggestions

Chicago Euchre Meetup - Location Suggestions

This message board is read-only.

Lisa.org
user 3580002
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
To get a general idea of everyone's preferences (since this is our first meetup), please suggest places to play? I am looking for a place in the near North (River North/Streeterville), West Loop, South Loop, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Roscoe Village, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, or Old Town area. (We may extend to other neighborhoods but not right now.)

Ideally I'd like to have some street parking available and near public transportation; must serve beer (and some food); not too smokey; have adequate tables, and to be lighted (enough to see what's trump).

We may try more than one place until we get this meetup established. I will check the places out before scheduling the meetup (which, for now, will be sometime during the week, Monday through Thursday, after work hours).

Thanks.

Lisa
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Lisa,

I have not been here, but have seen other groups host events at Guthries, 1300 W Addison Street. Here is the write-up I found: From Centerstage Chicago:

"Not a single piece of Cubs paraphernalia graces the walls of Guthrie's Tavern. This is certainly an anomaly, mere blocks from the friendly confines. The regulars wouldn't have it any other way. Guthrie's Tavern is a neighborhood bar by definition, a game day bar by circumstance. The non-descript edifice lacks neon lights and blends in with surrounding homes, discouraging throngs of foot traffic and pleasing those who don't like to compromise their genteel environs just because there happens to be a home game. Instead of peanuts and Cracker Jacks, you get bowls of pretzels accompanied by Dusseldorf mustard. Instead of the usual array of fried bar food, you get a menu consisting of frozen TV dinners. This is not to say Guthrie's doesn't have team spirit: Old Style and Hamm's are added to the beer list every baseball season. A bookshelf full of board games covers a wall, should the other kind of game not catch your interest."

Another option might be Kitsch'n River North, 600 W. Chicago Ave., 312-644-1500. I honestly don't know if they'd be interested or not, but it's a fairly large space. I live down the street and they don't seem crowded during the week.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm with Carol. I think Guthrie's would be a good place to start since they have board games available & encourage groups like ours getting together there. Hope to see you all soon!

Mark
Bill W.
user 3591911
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
Personally, I love Guthries, but I do not think it is big enough and it can get a little crowded in there. Not sure if that would be the place to meet up and have a bunch of Eurche games going on. Maybe someplace a little more low-key?

Someplace dead, and quiet, like the library. No seriously, a bar that is a little more empty, if that is possible.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just thought i would share my opinion.

Bill W.
Ramona T.
rthompso
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
I like Gutheries and on a Wednesday night, it shouldn't be too crowded. Food choices are not great, but they allow you to order from other restaurants.
Lisa.org
user 3580002
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 8
I just checked out Guthries on Wednesday night. It was pretty open so let's give it a try for our first Euchre tourney. See you there!
Lisa.org
user 3580002
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 9
List of possible future locations include:

O'Donovan's
Globe Pub
Guthries Tavern
Mac's (Division and Wood)
Tumen's (Chicago and Leavitt)
Kitsch'n (River North, 600 N. Chicago Ave)
Fizz
Tavern 33
Union Park
Lizzie McNeill's
Bridget McNeill's
Barleycorn Sports Bar (on Clybourn)
Goose Island (on Clybourn)
Castaways (in summer of course)
Riverview Tavern
Sedgwick's
Will's Northwoods Inn
Monk's Pub