addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Chicago Jazz Meetup Group Message Board › Post your Jazz Related Shows and Events around town (No Spam)

Post your Jazz Related Shows and Events around town (No Spam)

Pierre
user 7853727
Group Organizer
Elmwood Park, IL
Post #: 51
This thread is for posting of jazz related shows that you think might be of interest to members of the Chicago Jazz Meetup Group.

Please do not use this space for spam or commercial advertisements of products or services. If you are a member of the band or organization that is performing or sponsoring the event please disclose that affiliation in the post.

When posting an event please include: Name(s) of performer(s); Date; Time; Location (incl. directions); Cost; Parking/Transportation options; Sponsoring Organization. Please also include why you think the particular event/show/performance will be of interest to the group.

The organizers reserve the right to edit or delete any posting that is does not comply with the above or is not germane to the purposes of this group.
Robin T
user 3719477
Chicago, IL
Post #: 702
2/3 Beat the Winter Blues! an Evening of Jazz & Blues w/Felicia P. Fields at the Court Theater 5535 S. Ellis Chicago, Il $25 7:30p

Powerhouse songstress FELICIA FIELDS will be performing her one woman show- Courting the Blues- on Feb 3. 2014, after almost 30 years in the business. Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago in Blue Island, she says it will be a blessing to work so close to home where if her car breaks down she can get a ride to work ;D
This exciting cabaret show with live band features what she calls "sassy hits," like "I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)," "Women Be Wise," "You Can Have My Husband But Don't Mess With My Man," "I Got My Mojo Workin'," and many more. Expect to be singing and dancing in your seat for the entire 75-minute program!

Chicago's Court Theatre is currently presenting August Wilson's Seven Guitars 1/9-2/9, featuring Felicia P. Fields as Louise. Felicia is best known for her portrayal of Sofia in the Broadway and first touring company of the Musical The Color Purple, in which she received a Tony nomination, Clarence Derwitt Award, and several other awards. She has performed in many shows at the Marriott, Goodman, Drury Lane, Broadway in Chicago, Northlight, Theatre at the Center, and more to her credit as well as many productions throughout the United States and Canada, commercials, voice-overs, and on screen films as well.

When not in the theatre she enjoys working with "The Smiley Tillmon Band" (Robin T's dad, who is playing guitar & singing in her band for this show! You may remember them both from "Women Sing The Blues" meetup at Beverly Art Center 10/18) as well as her own Blues and R&B productions.

Share this special evening of song with your Meetup friends, one night only! Special limited $25 tickets. Don't miss it, get yours now- only 10 available: https://www.wepay.com...­ If issues arise closer to the date and you cannot attend, call or text Robin T and we will try to help you sell your ticket so you can be refunded.

We will meet in the lobby at 6:30p-7:15p to distribute tickets, meet & greet and get seated together. Host Robin T will have a Meetup sign and nametag(312)285-7555. Your name will be on the WePay list, no need to print anything out. Show starts at 7:30p. If you are late your ticket will be at the Will Call under your name. There is a free parking lot next to the Court Theatre(take a ticket when you pull in, but the gate will be raised with no charge for 30 min after the show ends) and also free street parking out front.
A former member
Post #: 11
FYI, you cannot see the specific date for this event until you go into the link. However, it is for Monday, February 3 at 7:30, for anyone that wants to attend. Thanks Robin!

Deborah
Carol
cajosef
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 74
Sarah of SMY is at Andy's the end of this month for two sets. $15 cover.

http://chicagoacousti...­
Carol
cajosef
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 75
Friday, January 31st & Saturday
9:30 & 11:30 pm sets
$15
Vijay Tellis-Nayak, keys
Bryan Doherty, bass
Neal Wehman, drums

New music!
Andy's Jazz Club
11 E. Hubbard, Chicago, IL
Phone: 312-642-6805
Robin T
user 3719477
Chicago, IL
Post #: 705
FYI, you cannot see the specific date for this event until you go into the link. However, it is for Monday, February 3 at 7:30, for anyone that wants to attend. Thanks Robin!

Deborah
Thanks Deborah! I just updated the original post with the extra info. Hope some people from group can make it. Felicia Fields and Smiley Tillmon band put on a great show when we saw them at Beverly Art Center. If anyone is interested, just call or text me- we've got great seats but they are going quick. Robin T (312)285-7555
Robin T
user 3719477
Chicago, IL
Post #: 712
Share this special evening of song with your Meetup friends, one night only! Special limited $20 tickets, we got a discount. Don't miss it, get yours now- only 10 available: https://www.wepay.com...­ Robin T(312)285-7555
Carol
cajosef
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 76
I'm headed to Andy's on Saturday to enjoy some soulful and indie mix jazz by SMY. Andy's is also participating in the Chicago Restaurant Week with a pre fixe offer as well as a variety of dinners, sandwiches, soups/salads, appetizers, and flatbreads. If anyone else is interested I'm happy to host an event this Saturday, Feb. 1st.

Vocalist Sarah Marie Young - 2/1/2014 9:30 PM

"The girl can sing!" -Quincy Jones

"She has a unique sound that fits in any style...her own voice. I have no doubt her career will be taking off..." - Bruce Lundvall, former CEO of Blue Note Records

Singer/songwriter Sarah Marie Young brings her unique blend of soulful jazz, r&b, and folk to any stage, be it on the Petrillo Stage at the 2012 Chicago Jazz Festival, Miles Davis Hall at the 2012 Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland after her 2011 Shure Vocal Competition win, or Washington D.C.'s Smithsonian Institute as a semifinalist in the 2010 Monk Jazz Voice Competition.

Sarah has gone quite far in her career since her upbringing on the east side of Indianapolis, and after finishing music school at Columbia College Chicago in 2008, she has become known in jazz and r&b circles across the nation as the singer with the "intoxicating voice" (-Eric Schelkopf, The Total Scene).

Her highly anticipated first full length album, "Too Many Februaries", recorded at Balik Farm Studios in Toggenberg, Switzerland and mixed by Craig Bauer at Hinge Studios in Chicago, is Sarah's original narrative of songs that span across many styles but are held together by her clear, soulful voice, and a stellar, versatile band.

Showtimes: 9:30pm-11pm & 11:30pm-1am
Admission: $15
John G.
JohnGarza
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
Hi everyone. If anyone is a fan of gypsy jazz (1940s-1950 style swing, Django Reinhardt, etc.) my band Swang Quintet is playing at fun place this month, Uncommon Ground on Devon. Details are below + some examples of the type of music.

Name: Swang Gypsy Jazz Quintet
When: Sunday 2/16, 7-9 PM
Where: Uncommon Ground Devon, 1401 W. Devon
Cost: $7. They recommend calling ahead to reserve a table: 773-465-9801

http://swanggypsyjazz...­

Robin T
user 3719477
Chicago, IL
Post #: 715
SUNDAY FEB. 9 9:30p. Live jazz preshow 7:30p-9:30pThe Smiley Tillmon Band with Kate Moss & Billy Flynn at Buddy Guy's Legends! 700 S. Wabash $10

We still got the "Winter Blues"... Did you miss these fantastic performers 2/3? Here is a second chance! Come out with your meetup friends to enjoy a night of hot blues & jazz when we need it most. Chicago's famous Buddy Guy's Legends Blues Club is proud to present international touring blues vocalist & lead guitarist Kate Moss with the Smiley Tillmon Band. Grammy Award winning guitarist Billy Flynn, Tom Rezetko on bass and blues legend Smiley Tillmon(Robin T's dad!)on guitar & vocals. There will also be a special appearance by Tony Award nominated vocalist, Felicia Fields, stopping by after her performance in "Seven Guitars" at Court Theatre!
A Blues-Funk-Soul Revue : The Smiley Tillmon Band "feeds off the classic Chicago Blues approach, combined with raw improvisational intensity, the band executes recognizable hits and dynamic danceable grooves."

We will meet at a table at 8p for drinks and eats, there is a full kitchen. Seating is limited, come early. Look for Meetup signs on the table and host Robin T wearing a nametag(312)285-7555. Live Jazz 7:30p-9:30p, Smiley Tillmon band begins at 9:30p. Buy tickets here, $10: https://www.wepay.com...­ Tickets will also be available at the door, but you may be seated away from the meetup group. Call or text me if you plan to come! Robin T(312)285-7555