ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › Recipes of the meals at our potlucks

Recipes of the meals at our potlucks

Kimberly
purrgirl
Chicago, IL
Post #: 155
"Yo quiero un Taco Bell Doggie Sauce" (I want a Taco Bell Doggie Sauce)

My homemade (and organic) version of Taco Bells Mild Sauce - no preservatives or soy like the original. smile

2 cups water
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (I used organic)
3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
Heat water in sauce pan and add rest of ingredients and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover until cool. Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator to store.

Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 405
RAW CRANBERRY SALSA:

Cranberries (one 12 oz package)
1 large Granny Smith apple (peeled, cored, and diced fine)
1 Anjou pear (peeled, cored, and diced fine)
1/2 large or one small red bell pepper (seeded and diced fine)
3 green onions (thinly sliced)
1/4 red onion (diced fine)
1/4 cup freshly extracted apple juice (or bottled organic)
2/3 cup raw unfiltered honey
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (minced)
1/2 tsp cumin
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp lime zest
Pinch of cayenne (to taste)

Directions:

• Sort and discard soft or blemished cranberries.
  • Rinse cranberries in cold water and drain.
  • Place cranberries in food processor with “S” blade and pulse until coarsely chopped.
  • Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold-in apple, pear, red pepper, green onion, red onion, and set aside.
  • In a separate bowl whisk together apple juice, honey, cilantro leaves, cumin, lime juice, lime zest, and cayenne. Mix well.
  • Chill before serving.

Kirsten
KirstenML
Chicago, IL
Post #: 163
Here is the recipe for the carrot cake bites (the recipe is for cupcakes, ingredients are the same). I did alter it a little by adding some coconut flour (because the dough was too wet) and some coconut sugar to make them a bit sweeter.
http://www.choosingra...­
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 478
Thank you for posting your recipe, Kirsten!

Recipe for Michael Mackaplow's stewed apples and raisins (recipe comes from England via his mom):
1. Cut up applies into moderate-sized pieces (approx 1-2cm) and put in pot
2. Sprinkle on a bit of lemon juice
3. Add raisins and a little bit of water
4. Cook on low heat, stirring, for about 1 hour. The heat will release water from the apples.
5. Cool and enjoy
Karina L.
karinanas
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hey everyone-- fantastic recipes, my tummy has never been as happy as it was yesterday eating everyone's delicious food!

I was wondering if whoever made the sweet and sour tofu could share their recipe and brand of tofu they used? I usually buy my tofu from Costco (the price is right), but it has never come out tasting as good as the tofu did yesterday!
Stephen W.
user 14300456
Chicago, IL
Post #: 8
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/3 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)

3/4 tsp baking soda

1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp sea salt

2 cups rolled oats

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup canola oil (non-gmo)

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)

1/3 cup nondairy milk (I use vanilla almond milk)

4 tsp flaxseed meal

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine milk with flaxseed meal, set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in oats and walnuts.

Add sugar to flaxseed mixture and beat for about a minute. Then add canola oil, peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in flower mixture.

Form into balls and place on baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes until just starting to lightly brown on the bottom. Careful not to over-bake. Cool completely and keep in air tight container.
Stephen W.
user 14300456
Chicago, IL
Post #: 9
Fudgy Cookies

2 cups quick oats

2 cups flour

3/4 cup cocoa powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free) *

3/4 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup "Enjoy Life" semi-sweet chocolate mini chips *

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

3 Tbsp ground flax seed

2/3 cup vanilla almond milk

1 1/2 cups sugar

2/3 cup canola oil (non-gmo) *

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp almond extract

pecan halves

* available at whole foods

Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together flax seed and almond milk. Let rest for a few minutes.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts.

Add sugar to flax seed mixture and beat for about a minute (should get a little fluffy), then add oil, vanilla, and almond extracts. Mix to combine.

Stir in dry ingredients. Form into balls (about ping-pong ball size), arrange on the baking sheets, then gently press pecan halves on top. Bake about 12 minutes.