ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › ☼ NEW MEETUP IDEAS ☼

☼ NEW MEETUP IDEAS ☼

Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 265
Lucas - I agree with you as I go to Sweet Tomatoes all the time :) We should consider one of their location for meetup.
Gill - Cedar Grill is a great idea. I don't know if any of our organizers would want to "commit" to 45 people though. But in any case it's an excellent possibility. As you will see Irma today (or you can send her email) please ask her to consider it as one of our next suburban options.
A former member
Post #: 1
Alright, I know I'm new here, but I have a strange and crazy idea (if it's been done before, I apologize)- don't quite know how to pull this off, but has anyone ever seen the FoodNetwork show "Chopped"? Where they take 5 or so ingredients and chefs need to prepare an appetizer, or a main dish, etc, with them? I have always thought that doing something like that would be so much fun... people could work in teams, volunteer as judges... don't know about a place to host it - perhaps a cooking school?

Just a thought - super glad to have come across this site! Honestly, know of only 1 other vegan in the area - this is awesome!
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 269
Elizabeth - It's a great idea. In fact you are right on the money as Parag and I discussed this not too long ago. Do you mind contacting Parag @ ChicagoVeg. com (no spaces) to brain-storm it and hopefully come up with some plan to get it started? I would love it if we could get it going and would be very glad to implement it.
If there is anything I can help you with please let me know. I'd be more than happy to!
Josh C.
user 14017024
Chicago, IL
Hey all,

There are 2 new restaurants that you have to consider meeting up at.

1. All vegan Thai restaurant called Urban Vegan 1605 West Montrose @ Ashland 773-404-1109 www.urbanveganchicago.com The owner is delightful and said he would welcome a meetup on Tuesday especially. They only seat 20, and that's if you arrange it ahead of time, because they only have 16 seats currently, but they could add 4 more. You have to check out their menu, it is impressive.

2. Almost as equally impressive is the new Vegetarian Mexican restaurant called Quesadilla La Rayna Del Sur They are a larger dining area which seats 40. 2235 N Western Ave 773-235-8807.

I hope this helps.
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 293
It definitely helps Josh!
I would love to try these restaurants out. I hope to convince some of ChicagoVeg organizers to have an event there. wink
Tannya
HomecookinVegan
Chicago, IL
Hi all!

I very much like Dawn's idea about veg kids meetup. I have a 20 month old. We are lacto-vegetarians and we are usually the only veg family in the (toddler) play groups we attend. My kid never gets to eat the cookies or muffins other kids eat there and would like to have him meet other veg/vegans his age. We are in Rogers Park and as the weather warms up, I think a lakefront veg/vegan picnic would be lots of fun for the kiddos, don't you?

I just put this in the suggestion box too :) I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. and we are new to the Chicago area. I would love for my 5 year old daughter to be able to run around and EAT with other kids and me and the hubby to connect with other people raising veg kiddies :D
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 314
Thank you for your input Tannya!
We have special group "ChicagoVeg Kids" for exactly what are you looking for!
Please check it out: http://www.meetup.com...­
Unfortunately we don't have a strong leadership for this group at this point but, if you have some ideas and willing to organize something, just go head and post a suggestion. We will make it happen!
A former member
Post #: 12
Not sure if it's been suggested already. Restaurant idea Borrowed Earth Cafe in Downers Grove. www.borrowedearthcafe.com
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 369
Thank you for your suggestion, Marguerite. We have been there twice but not recently. If we could find an event organizer who could setup an event there we may go there again.