addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › Honeybee colony die-offs, petition signing requested

Honeybee colony die-offs, petition signing requested

Alan
user 10289894
Chicago, IL
Post #: 8
Greetings:
The honey bee problem known as Colony Collapse Disorder (beekeepers often experiencing 30+% hive deaths _each_ _year_) has been going on since 2006-7. Avaaz (avvaz.org) requests we sign a petition directed to the USA's Environmental Protection Agency's head. The petition urges banning a class of pesticides (insecticides) toxic to our buzzy little food pollinators.

Additional information is available here (contains multiple references):
http://www.vegsource....­,
and Wikipedia discusses CCD here:
http://en.wikipedia.o...­

I'm asking you to join me in signing the petition at:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees_usa/?cl=895630491&v=8117­.

Please forward this to anyone you know who eats food.

Thank you, Alan
Alan
user 10289894
Chicago, IL
Post #: 20
Avaaz (Avaaz.org) has another petition to save the honeybees from Colony Collapse disorder (and also a lot of our food), at http://www.avaaz.org/...­. This one is directed to Bayer (manufacturer of neonicotinoid pesticides, widely blamed for contributing to CCD. I decided a simple click-petition was insufficient, and so sent the following to Bayer's Garden and Agriculture "contact-us" (Bayer Crop Science). Dr. Dekkers is CEO of Bayer.
---
Greetings Dr. Dekkers and Bayer:

When I studied symbiosis in biology, I asked the question “What are humans symbiotic with?” That is, what species, if it goes away, then humans also go away?
I believe Albert Einstein first provided this answer:

Honeybees.

I understand you are producing, profiting from, and lobbying for permissions to use neonicotinoids and other pesticides which are heavily blamed for honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder.

I propose you carry out this thought experiment. At your next meal remove everything pollinated by honeybees. Remove the cooking oils (soy, rapeseed, etc.). Remove all the meat, eggs and diary to the extent the providing animals ate soy or alfalfa.

Lastly, savor just one teaspoon of honey, and think “Never again. Never.”

After you have “enjoyed” your bee-free meal, do nothing against your profits until you have killed the honeybees and made enough profit doing so.

Then throw a “profits-celebration” banquet – nothing fancy, $10US/€7.50 per plate should suffice, around €3,200M if everyone comes. Invite all your shareholders – the people you work for. Invite your all employees – don't forget any government employees you may have contributed to. The banquet menu menu should be easy to create, not much to left choose from. Have a slide show of all the foods that are not on the banquet plates, the foods that aren't on anybody's plate – because your dead honeybees can't make those foods happen.

Then stand up and tell us you are sorry about our dismal diet, but the profits and your bonuses were really worth it.

Now bring the bees back.

- - -

You likely know this from among your 600+ web pages mentioning bees, but here are some of the foods and plants you will be stealing from the world (Wikipedia): okra, Kiwifruit, onions, cashews, celery, Brazil nuts, starfruit, beets, mustard, rapeseed (Canola) oil, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, Chinese cabbage, pigeon peas, chile and red/green peppers, papaya, safflower, caraway, chestnuts, watermelon, tangerines, tangelos, coconut, coffee, coriander, crownvetch, azarole, cantelope, cucumber, squash/pumpkin/gourd/zuchini, guar bean, quince, carrot, hyacinth bean, longan, persimmon, durian, cardamom, loquat, buckwheat, feijoa, fennel, strawberry, soybean, cotton, sunflower (seed), flax, lupine, macadamia, acerola, apple, mammee, mango, alfalfa, Rambutan, prickly pear cactus, sanfoin, passion fruit, avocado, string+5 beans, scarlett runner bean, allspice, apricot, sweet cherry, sour cherry, plum, almond, peach, nectarine, guava, pomegranate, pears, black/red currant, rose hips, boysenberry, raspberry, blackberry, elderberry, sesame, eggplant, rowanberry, hog plum, tamarind, some clover (soil nitrogen fixer), white clover, alsike clover, red clover, blueberry, cranberry, vanilla, tung tree (seed (oil?)), broad bean, karite, tomato, grape and jujube.

Bon appétit. By the way, can you eat money?
Lori
Highland Park, IL
Post #: 38
On behalf of all of us who eat food, thank you Alan. I have signed the petitiion and follow this cause quite closely. Thank you for taking the time to write your letter. We thank you and the bees thank you.