addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › How to find a doctor that is accepting of vegetarianism/veganism in Chicago?

How to find a doctor that is accepting of vegetarianism/veganism in Chicago?

A former member
Post #: 1
http://www.veggieboar...­
^ That is my thread.. and I am really desperate for an answer, but I need a doctor that will not tell me to eat meat, dairy or eggs... any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Lori
Highland Park, IL
Post #: 35
Dr Mary Farhy, she is a Ob- Gyn and also a very healthy eating yoga teacher...great combination. I don't know where you live but she has a practice in Wheeling and Hoffmann Estates. You can google her. Hope this helps and yes it could be many things. I would suggest starting on daily cups of hot water with blackstrap molasses and lemon until you get in to see someone. Tablespoon of each in a cup of hot water a couple times a day.
Good luck. Lori
Cara
user 9473805
Chicago, IL
Post #: 284
I have crossed paths with some veg-friendly doctors from various veggie, green or alternative health fairs but can't remember any specific names that come to mind. I would suggest checking out a few reputable vegetarian resource groups as they might be able to lead you in the right direction.

I highly doubt that the A.M.A. has a database of this information since there's no certification or license required for this particular field in the scope of traditional, conventional medicine that I am aware of. (Only Chinese medicine or non-western countries have different standards). On the bright side, I've seen an increasingly large amount of health organizations across the board endorsing vegetarian or plant-based diets, so that's a good sign of things to come, I hope!

If anyone else is knowledgeable about any doctors' practice out there or has relevant referral information, please do share.
A former member
Post #: 9
The trick is to just not tell the doctors you see that you're vegetarian or vegan. Sometimes the less you say the better. They will use it as the easiest solution if you hand it to them. Here's a website I found for you. I hope it helps you. http://www.medfinds.c...­

A former member
Post #: 10
Danielle......here is another possibility I found for you. Good luck. http://www.bodylogicm...­
A former member
Post #: 2
I believe it may have something to do with my hormones, but I'm not a doctor... but I remember, the first time I got my period, I never felt the same.. Now I worry if the subject of food comes up, which it might.
Kimberly
purrgirl
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 172
Hi Danielle,

I don't have recommendations for a doctor but I read your thread on veggieboards. I will say I don't tell my doctor anything about my diet unless it comes up and they haven't asked.

I am not a doctor but here are my thoughts based on my personal experiences as a long time veg:

1. Vegetarian women need more iron than the "regular recommended daily allowance" which is based on a meat eating diet. Reason being is that plant iron is not absorbed as well by body as meat iron so you could be eating what you think is the right amount but won't be getting the whole thing because of the absorption differences. For veg women, get at least 30 mg. And yes, we girls, will lose our iron because of our periods - esp. if you have heavy periods. smile

2. It does sound like your hormones could be playing a role here. The symptoms you mention on your thread are very similar to perimenopausal symptoms of hormone flucutations (not saying you are pre-menopausal of course since you are only 20 but the hormone fluxes are similar and will invoke similar symptoms). The brain fog and fatigue are two of these and it is often said to the be the brains way of dealing with the hormone fluctuations. Is this worse during your period?

3. The symptoms you mention are also some possible symptoms of an intolerance to gluten or a wheat sensitivity. You mentioned you are not a healthy eater and have a carby diet and that when you did raw you felt better (there would be no wheat on the raw diet). Look into how you feel when you do and do not eat wheat products. Do some experimenting here and see what happens.

4. Go to a doctor and just DEMAND the tests! Who has to live in your body? YOU do! So get what you need! If one won't do it, there will be another that will. For the iron, alot of times you will test fine but that doesn't mean your iron stores are not low. Plus, like I mentioned above, all those RDAs are based on the regular meat eating diet. We have different nutritional needs as vegs. I have been veg/vegan for 21 years and I have often tested borderline anemic when trying to give blood (and they wouldn't take my blood!) - it is easy to up this but it wasn't until I found out that being veg I needed more iron that I just went and started taking extra iron myself that my iron "deficiency" symptoms improved.

In your thread you mentioned the thyroid too - most doctors do not test properly for this unfortunately. But get a basic test anyhow. I demanded one personally but I wanted it for other reasons. You also might want to demand they test your blood sugar too - since you eat so many carbs. Easy to test this. (brain fog and exhaustion can be symptoms of too high blood sugar)

It might be helpful too to post what you eat. If you are not getting enough calories (real calories - not empty ones like in too many refined foods), you can easily feel horrible too.

Also, you mentioned in your thread "he" for doctor - find yourself a woman doctor - if this is female related, they will be a little more understanding because, you know, they "get it". I always pick a woman doctor no matter what because they always consider that avenue when asking questions about symptoms. I think the male doctors often forget to factor it in. smile

Let us know how you are doing! I hope you find out what is going on!
A former member
Post #: 3
I probably do not eat enough real calories, I just don't know how to eat healthier or even spend less on a veg diet, which is ironic to me. Although I didn't eat healthier as an omni either.
Well today I had
home made french toast with maple syrup
rice and veggie gravy
mock tuna salad with romaine lettuce
and I'm about to have sugar cookies
While it may be vegan, I probably don't eat enough calories even though I've gained weight
If I am sensitive to wheat, no gluten? D: buut there is so little raw food I even enjoy. Although I would enjoy better health more than tasty junk food.. Anything is better than this...
What types of tests am I looking at? Just to make sure I don't miss anything lol...
Sophie
VeganSophie
Chicago, IL
Post #: 57
not sure what your mock tuna salad is made of but your diet looks to be mostly carbs/sugar. i would suggest adding more raw vegetables/leafy greens (not lettuce)/ whole fruits and more protein in the form of legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas) or nuts or tofu or mock meats. none of that is expensive (except some mock meats) and is easy to make. and if you aren't already, i would suggest you take b12 supplements and vitamin D2 (since we live in Chicago).
A former member
Post #: 4
Yeah I do eat a lot of carbs & sugar.
mock tuna consists of:
chickpeas
celery
onion
kelp
relish
veg mayo
I thought romaine was okay, and only iceberg was bad...
I did take supplements for a while but stopped. :/ There may have been a very slight difference when I took it, not sure.