addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › McDonald's is opening Vegetarian Restaurants

McDonald's is opening Vegetarian Restaurants

Lidia
user 2571719
Chicago, IL
Post #: 12
McDonald's Is Opening Its First Vegetarian-Only Restaurants
Business InsiderBy Kim Bhasin | Business Insider – 18 hours ago

For the first time ever, McDonald's (MCD) is opening a pair of restaurants that will not serve any meat at all, reports Amy Kazmin at the Financial Times.

Both of the restaurants will open next year in India — one in the city of Amritsar (the holiest site in the Sikh religion), and one in the town of Katra (a "jump-off point" for Hindus visiting the mountain shrine of Vaishno Devi.)

The stores will serve the vegetarian items currently sold in Indian McDonald's restaurants, and the chain will likely develop some new items as well.

“A vegetarian store makes absolute sense in the places which are famous as pilgrimage sites,” McDonald's India spokesperson Rajesh Kumar Maini told the FT.

It's all because of local preferences. Cows are sacred in India, and much of the country is vegetarian. So the existing McDonald's locations in India don't serve beef, but they do serve lots of chicken in its place.

For instance, there's no Big Mac in India. Instead, stores serve the Maharaja Mac, which has chicken patties. It also sells the Filet-o-Fish, Chicken Nuggets and more non-beef menu items. The two vegetarian locations won't serve any chicken or fish items at all.

Right now, McDonald's has more than 250 restaurants in India — a number it plans to double by the end of 2014.
A former member
Post #: 11
Its still junk food.

Over the years I have tried a few of their vegan offerings - like a sliced apple and their new smoothie (sans the yogurt) while I was on a road trip. Its hard to imagine screwing up an apple, but they somehow did. It had a very strange substance on it (probably some anti-yellowing chemical) and tasted like sugar. The "all fruit" smoothie was like drinking pure high fructose corn syrup. It was a shock to my system.

McDonald's is one of the largest purchasers of factory farmed flesh in the world and they are spreading their fast food, GMO-laden, factory farming, obesity-inducing model in places like China. Yes, the factory farming model is SPREADING, not decreasing.

I am trying hard to be a healthier vegan and boycott all McDonald's and fast food in general.
A former member
Post #: 5
Alice~ I completely agree with you.

I watched a documentary about MCD & America has the worst of all the chain restaurants... India & other Asian countries (Japan & Thailand) have all sorts of vegetarian & vegan options... Yes, they're still processed, but it just goes to show how people can make a difference if the want is there.
Stephen W.
user 14300456
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Yes, it is junk food, and Mcdonald's isn't the vegans best friend, but veg junk foods were my bridge to a happy vegan lifestyle. I can only hope some of the veg options find their way to more people (kids!) over here and give them a little nudge to our side.
Kimberly
purrgirl
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 203
And ...It's McDonald's - junk food or not, veg or not. They are just a horrible corporation all around. The money one spends to buy any veg food at their "restaurants" goes back into supporting all their other crappy food, meat and non-meat. Won't even use the bathroom in one anymore - rather use a bush.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm glad to hear we take a stand for a plant based diet. For me it's not "being apart" and contributing to the insanity of our animal "manufacturing" industry. I/We can't really change anyone, and only influence the person inquisitive to change. So McDonald's is still top of my FF restaurant list that I WILL NOT SUPPORT. Not even a cup of coffee. I am ready as a nurse to write a very nice letter to Children's Memorial Hospital who has and will continue to have a huge, fun, McDonald's in their facility. It would take a enormous epiphany for that place to end their contract and my hope some day is for that to happen. What a hypocrisy. They would say, "We feed other than the ambulatory children." I would say, let's entertain them with healthier options, that are just as fun as a standing statue of Ronald with a smile on his face. I strive for more compassion towards change rather than knowing "more" about anything. So just had to comment on this as it's a huge example of what we have become as a country in regards to our health.
Stephen W.
user 14300456
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
It would be fantastic if the world would wise up and give Ronald the bums rush, but that probably wont happen in our lifetime.
While I can't think of any reason any of us would walk into a McDonalds, millions of people still will. Giving them a veg option can't hurt. There just might be one or two happy meal chompers in the family that don't want a dead-stuff sandwich.
Kimberly
purrgirl
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 204
What bugs me is we all know McDonalds is NOT doing this because they actually care about vegetarianism, they don't care about people eating less meat or maybe choosing the "healthier" meatless option (use that term "healthier" loosely since it is McCrap) but they are only doing it to cover the "vegetarian market" to make more money. It all about the money. Of course they will say "Oh, we care about the vegetarians and whether they can have choices to eat here." No they don't - they just want your money. The serious vegetarians won't be going there to eat because they know better. I think that is what McDonalds is wanting but why should we? Plenty of other BETTER veg places to eat that aren't heartless corporations.

True though - if you are the only vegetarian stuck in a McMeat eating family (say a teenager new to the diet) than you will happy to have a choice when they drag you out to McDeath's to eat - or say you are stuck in the boonies with no other veg options to be had (of course McDonalds probably won't offer veg options in a boonie location). If it were me, I would boycott and not go - but than I am a hard ass. wink
Stephen W.
user 14300456
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
I agree 100%
I'm usually more of a hard ass myself, guess I was just in a good mood!