ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › Recipes of the meals at our potlucks

Recipes of the meals at our potlucks

Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 69
Let's use these message thread to share the recipes.

Here is a recipe of "award-winning" of Lenette's Raw Brownie Bites. If anyone else would like to share their recipes, please post it in this discussion thread.

Lenette's Raw Brownie Bites (see more at

1 1/2 cups of pecans (you can use walnuts too)
Dash salt
10-12 pitted medjool dates
1/3 cup raw cacao powder (raw chocolate) You can use cocoa or carob powder instead too
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped dried goji berries and pecans (optional)

Chop 1/4 cup of pecans and set aside. Place the rest and the salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until finely ground. Add the dates and process until the mixture sticks together. Add the cacao powder and vanilla and process until evenly distributed.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and add in the chopped nuts and whatever else you'd like. Make into brownies or bite sized squares or balls like I did :)
Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Store in a sealed container. You can keep these up to a week in the fridge or a month in the freezer.
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 193
Recipe from Alan (June potluck):

I got the "Incredible Corn Bread" recipe from "Cooking With Peta: Great Vegan Recipes for a Compassionate Kitchen", (c) 1997.

This seems to be a simple and "forgiving" recipe, and might be a good "starter" for a novice or nervous cook... like me. Don't panic at the "my details" section, it's just what I did, and I suspect minor variations won't matter, except for increasing the corn meal to flour ratio. But then I like the corn taste.

"1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tea-spoons baking powder
2 tea-spoons sugar
1 tea-spoon salt
2 Table-spoons oil
1-1/2 cups soymilk

Preheat oven to 350(F). Combine the dry ingredients.Add the oil and soymilk, and mix well. Pour into a lightly oiled 8 x 8-inch pan, and bake for 30 minutes."

My details: I changed the flours ratio to about 1-1/4 cup cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour (total still 2 cups). Cake flour (wheat) was what I had. Used olive oil, 365 brand vegan cane sugar (Whole Foods), Kraft "Calumet" brand baking powder, iodized sea salt, Jewel olive oil spray onto a Pyrex baking dish.

I used an oven thermometer, didn't rely on my "old enough to get a driver's license" oven's turn dial.

This produces a "hefty" bread, that, and the expected crowd, was why cut a lot of smaller squares, around 6 x 6 = 36.

The book's authors suggests serving with "veggie chill or other southwestern fare". I also like it with "butter" and/or one's favorite jams or jellies.
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 194
Receipe from Siri (June potluck):

Here's the mixed beans curry recipe, its really not as difficult as it looks from this recipe, I just tried to be specific about what I did.-

2 cups Mixture of beans/lentils(dry)
3 onions(medium sized) chopped
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
5-6 cloves of garlic(crush them)
2 inches ginger(crush it)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons sunflower oil(or any oil you like)

Garam masala- a ground powder of the following-
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Alternately garam masala, this can be purchased at a spice store or an Indian store.

1. Soak the beans overnight- about 8 hours. Remember to soak in 4-5 times the amount of water by volume. I used a mixture of red kidney beans, garbanzo beans, green lentil, black beans and val beans. You can use any combination of any beans or just one kind of beans.
2. Drain the water in which the beans are soaking. Rinse the beans with a lot of water.
3. Cook the beans in a pot by adding water to it. The beans should be drowned in the water. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour. The trick is to get the beans to be really soft. I recommend using a pressure cooker if you have one.
4. In a pan, heat some oil, add the cumin seeds and wait till they splatter.
5. Then add the garlic and the ginger and saute for about 10 seconds.
6. Add the onions and saute till the onions start becoming slightly translucent. (Sauteing a little more or less will not cause a catastrophe.)
7. Add the cooked beans.
8. Add the salt, turmeric, Cayenne pepper and the garam masala.
9. Allow the mixture to cook for 5 minutes. Add water if it is too thick. (Some people like it thick, some do not)

Bean curry is done, you can eat it with rice, bread or as it is. :-)
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 90
Someone asked me to post the recipe for my Raw "Fettucine Alfredo" and "Rawmesan" from the Potluck yesterday. So here it is:

Alfredo Sauce( this is one batch, I made a double batch for the potluck)

½ cup raw pine nuts, soaked
½ cup raw cashews, soaked
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
Garlic powder or raw cloves to taste
Black Peppercorn to taste

Chopped raw mushrooms, optional
Chopped raw black olives, optional

Blend all ingredients except for mushrooms and olives if you are using them, hand mix those in.
Add water as needed for ease in blending or to make as thick or thin as you want.

(oh, best to soak the nuts overnight - to make blending easier)

The "fettucine" (noodles) part is spiralized zucchinis. I used three large ones yesterday. But two medium sized ones are usually good for one batch. I don't peel mine but you can if you want. Cut off the ends to be flat as it makes for better results when spiralizing.

I use this spiralizer, creates noodles several feet long! :­

"Rawmesan" (Raw Vegan Parmesan)

1 cup Raw walnuts
½ cup Raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
½ tablespoon Sea Salt

Grind up the walnuts in your blender until crumbly. (Don’t let them turn into nut butter!)

Next add the sunflower seeds, do the same as to the walnuts.

Next add nutritional yeast and salt. Blend lightly until mixed in with the nuts.

Use wooden chopstick or fork to keep the mixture fluffy and separated between blends. It doesn’t take much blending to do this – don’t over blend. A food processor or a coffee grinder/seed grinder could be used too.

Keep in frig.

Flossmoor, IL
Post #: 5
All of the recipes on here look great! Thanks for sharing them. I have a question, however. What are your recommendations for good vegan cheeses, everyone? I'm particularly looking for a decent "melty" mozzarella type cheese for a lasagna. Thanks!
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 92

There is Follow your Heart Mozzerella, Teese and Daiya. I think Daiya melts the best. There are also some import vegan cheezes that you can buy online that have mozzerella flavor that I think are pretty good (check out But most WF here in Chi-town area carry the three I mentioned.
I have tried all the vegan cheezes so email me if you need any more advice. :) Good Luck! Kim
user 7869895
Folsom, CA
Post #: 13
Many of you asked me for the recipe for the vegan nut bars I made for the Montrose beach potluck on Aug 29. Here its:

Ingredients (1 cup = 8 oz):

1/2 cup raw unsalted almonds
1/2 cup raw unsalted walnuts
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashew nuts
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (this is a really expensive spice to buy in regular stores, but you can pick up whole cardamom from any Indian grocery for a lot less. The flavor is in the seeds so break open the pods, get the seeds out and crush or grind them the best you can).

1. Grease a baking tray or casserole or any flat bottom vessel and set it aside. I use vegan smart balance (Whole Foods) but you can use any sort of vegetable shortening or even butter (if you don't care about keeping it vegan). Just a little bit is more than enough.

2. Dry grind the walnuts, cashews and almonds in a blender or food processor. Try to keep the consistency coarse.

3. Dry roast the ground nuts in a frying pan on medium heat. Roast just enough so that the nut mixture changes color to light brown and starts to give off an aroma. It should take about 4 to 5 minutes with constant stirring. Remove from heat and set aside in a mixing bowl.

4. Put the brown sugar, cardamom powder and water together in a saucepan on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Do not put the lid on the saucepan.

(steps 5-7 require you to act very quickly because as soon as the sugar syrup is off the heat, it begins to harden).

5. Turn off the heat and quickly transfer the sugar syrup to the mixing bowl. Mix it with the nuts to make a homogeneous paste. Try to do this within 30 secs.

6. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tray and spread it out into an even layer- about 1/2 inch thick would be ideal, but up to you.

7. Using a sharp knife, cut into squares or desired shape while the dough-like consistency still allows you to cut easily.

8. Place the tray in a refrigerator for at least 3 hours. This is enough for the mixture to cool and harden into bars like it should.

A former member
Post #: 6
Cranberry-orange-nut bread
from Veganomicon by I.C. Moskowitz and T.H. Romero

Makes one loaf

1/2 c soy milk
1/4 c freshly squeezed orange juice (from a /real/ orange)
1/4 c canola oil
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 T grated orange zest
1 c chopped fresh (or dried) cranberries
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 9x5 loaf pan. Tip: Sprinkle some sugar on it to make the edges crispy and to make the loaf easier to remove.

In a large bowl, mix soy milk, orange juice, canola oil, sugar, and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and allspice. Mix until smooth. The batter will be thick. Fold in the orange zest, cranberries, and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepped pan.

Bake for about 50 minutes (up to an hour). Let cool for ~15 mins before inverting onto cooling rack. Flip right-side up and let cool further.
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 153
Flax Almond Mini "Doughnut" Muffins

A few people asked me about the mini muffin recipe.
This is it: http://lowcarbdiets.a...­

•1 cup flax meal
•1 cup almond meal
•1 T baking powder
•1/4 t salt
•1 and 1/4 t nutmeg
•1 t cinnamon
•Artificial sweetener - 1 cup equivalent
•1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
•4 eggs, beaten
•1/2 cup plus 2 T water

•1/2 cup equivalent powdered artificial sweetener
•2 t cinnamon
•2 T melted butter

Makes 12 regular-size muffins or 24 minis

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; butter muffin pans.

2. Mix dry ingredients well (exclude those used for topping).

3. Add beaten eggs, melted butter, water, and sweetener to the dry mixture. Mix well.

4. Fill muffin cups a bit more than half way with the mixture.

5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove.

6. Mix the cinnamon and powdered sweetener for the topping in a clean bowl.

7. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip the tops in the melted butter you allocated for the topping, followed by the sweetener/cinnamon mixture.

I veganized it like this:

Butter = Earth Balance (no soy)
Eggs = En-R-G egg replacer (follow directions on box)

I added Nutmeg to the topping. Brushed the tops with melted butter instead of dipping the muffins. I sprinkled my topping with my fingers so I only used like a teaspoon or two of faux sweetener and same with the nutmeg and cinnamon.

You can probably use real sugar if you want but the recipe is supposed to be sugar free. I used Stevia in the Raw as my sugar substitute. You can buy that at Jewel. It's cheap too! smile

Oak Park, IL
Post #: 154
Jalapeno Nacho Cheese Sauce (Raw)

1/2 large red bell pepper
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw pine nuts (or sunflower seeds)
1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1 clove garlic or garlic power (or to taste)
1 Tblsp lemon or lime juice
1 to 2 small green or red Jalapenos or several tablespoons of Jalapeno Juice

Slice up Jalapenos. Save half of one to mince up into small pieces.
Blend all other ingredients until creamy. Add more water if it is too thick.
Hand mix in the minced jalapeno. Refrig overnight before serving.
(mixture will become stronger as it sits in frig so keep that in mind when you add your jalapenos or juice)

To make Jalapeno juice (prepare ahead of time):

Slice up a few jalapenos.
Place in glass jar and add cold water and a little bit of sea salt.
Put in frig with tight lid. Will brine in about a day.
Than use the brine water to flavor your cheese sauce.
Saves $ on jalapenos and the brine water goes a long way.