ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › New GMO Labeling Website

New GMO Labeling Website

Cara
user 9473805
Chicago, IL
Post #: 122
New GMO Labeling Website Showcases Hard-to-Find Product Comparisons

From: Official Site of the Institute for Responsible Technology

This week the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT) launched a new website www.nonGMOShoppingGuide.com that takes the guesswork out of how to avoid genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and gene-spliced food products. With polls indicating that 9 out of 10 Americans want GMOs labeled, the site’s brand vs. brand comparison is expected to have a significant influence in shifting the choices shoppers make in supermarkets.

The site was developed for the 53% of Americans who say they would avoid GMOs if labeled. It lists popular brands that don’t use ingredients from the eight GM crops such as GM soy and corn. It also lists dairy products that don’t allow the controversial GM bovine growth hormone.

Ann Marie Michaels, proud mom of a two-year old, says “I am so grateful IRT put up this site. The Non-GMO Shopping Guide fits easily into my purse, and now I wouldn’t leave home without it. I’ve posted some of this hard-to-find information on my website, and sent the link to my friends, who will tell their friends, who will tell their friends.”

IRT’s Executive Director Jeffrey Smith, who hears from thousands of consumers on trips around the US, frustrated at the lack of labeling, says “Our new website gives consumers back the power to make an informed choice.”

Dr. Ted Nordquist, founder and CEO of WholeSoy & Co., America's number one maker of Non-GMO Organic soy yogurts, says "WholeSoy understands the negative impact of pesticides and herbicides on our environment and does not use any genetically modified organisms in our products. We are happy to be listed and to see a growing trend towards safety conscious food shopping."

Maria Emmer-Aanes, director of marketing and communications from Nature’s Path, North America’s number one organic cereal manufacturer, says, “We have been at the forefront of the organic food movement since the inception of the company almost 25 years ago, and have never supported the use of GMO ingredients.” She says, “We are extremely concerned about transparency and letting consumers make an informed choice about whether or not they eat GMOs, so we applaud the creation of this resource and are happy to be listed on the website.”

Doctor’s Orders:
Physician Amy Dean, who is a board member of AAEM, a Physicians’ association that recently asked doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets to all patients, says she regularly provides the Non-GMO Shopping Guide for her patients, and is pleased to recommend IRT’s informative and easy-to-use new website.

The Non-GMO Shopping Guide is a joint production of IRT and the Center for Food Safety.

Find more information on GMOs at www.HealthierEating.org­