ChicagoVeg» Chicagoland Vegetarian-Vegan-RawFood Community Message Board › -> NEW MEETUP IDEAS <-

-> NEW MEETUP IDEAS <-

Lucas
user 10749554
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Sweet Tomato is a great spot that offers food at a low cost. I think that would be a great place to have a meet-up for lunch or dinner. They have an amazing unlimited salad bar and cooked bar that offers many vegan/vegetarian options.
A former member
Post #: 222
My friend, George, has a place called Cedar Grill on Ogden Ave in Downers Grove. Although this Mediterranean restaurant currently serves meat as well as Vegan options he is a gourmet Vegan chef who has catered our holiday meals. He said we could reserve the restaurant...he wouldn't sell meat that night.. & he would create ALL Vegan specialty dishes if we could commit to 45 people at $15 each...what do you think??
Lyn
user 13474680
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Cedar Grill sounds like an amazing invitation ♥
Vishal
user 12383936
Chicago, IL
I agree with Jessica/Lori (I think I am remembering the names right) about heading to Independence Grove. However, I would rather push those off till Summer. I have been there and it's a great place because you can either take a nice walk with couple people, or maybe have a private walk with someone that you just end up clicking with, or you can enjoy some activities (kayaking, volleyball, etc.) or just back and relax and enjoy.
Along those lines, Zion has another resort (awesome place) that could be done over the summer. However, Zion is about 30 min further north of Independence Grove. The resort is just great. It does not have kayaking, the fake beach, etc. that Independence Grove has but it actually has a real beach (sorta) and volleyball ground.

Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 265
Lucas - I agree with you as I go to Sweet Tomatoes all the time :) We should consider one of their location for meetup.
Gill - Cedar Grill is a great idea. I don't know if any of our organizers would want to "commit" to 45 people though. But in any case it's an excellent possibility. As you will see Irma today (or you can send her email) please ask her to consider it as one of our next suburban options.
A former member
Alright, I know I'm new here, but I have a strange and crazy idea (if it's been done before, I apologize)- don't quite know how to pull this off, but has anyone ever seen the FoodNetwork show "Chopped"? Where they take 5 or so ingredients and chefs need to prepare an appetizer, or a main dish, etc, with them? I have always thought that doing something like that would be so much fun... people could work in teams, volunteer as judges... don't know about a place to host it - perhaps a cooking school?

Just a thought - super glad to have come across this site! Honestly, know of only 1 other vegan in the area - this is awesome!
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 269
Elizabeth - It's a great idea. In fact you are right on the money as Parag and I discussed this not too long ago. Do you mind contacting Parag @ ChicagoVeg. com (no spaces) to brain-storm it and hopefully come up with some plan to get it started? I would love it if we could get it going and would be very glad to implement it.
If there is anything I can help you with please let me know. I'd be more than happy to!
A former member
Post #: 2
Vadim,

I just emailed Parag. Hope to get this off the ground, and looking forward to working with all of you!

Liz
Josh Catrambone
user 14017024
Chicago, IL
Hey all,

There are 2 new restaurants that you have to consider meeting up at.

1. All vegan Thai restaurant called Urban Vegan 1605 West Montrose @ Ashland 773-404-1109 www.urbanveganchicago.com The owner is delightful and said he would welcome a meetup on Tuesday especially. They only seat 20, and that's if you arrange it ahead of time, because they only have 16 seats currently, but they could add 4 more. You have to check out their menu, it is impressive.

2. Almost as equally impressive is the new Vegetarian Mexican restaurant called Quesadilla La Rayna Del Sur They are a larger dining area which seats 40. 2235 N Western Ave 773-235-8807.

I hope this helps.
Vadim
vadim424
Group Organizer
Oak Brook, IL
Post #: 293
It definitely helps Josh!
I would love to try these restaurants out. I hope to convince some of ChicagoVeg organizers to have an event there. wink