SOME REASONS TO BECOME VEGAN/VEGETARIAN:
For the Planet
1. Raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than cars & trucks.
2. 80% of ammonia emissions in the U.S. come from animal waste.
3. Farm animals produce 130 times more waste than humans in the United States.
4. The #1 source of pollution in our waterways comes from agricultural runoff. Farm animals eat 70% of all the grain in the United States.
5. It takes 2400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of cow flesh vs. 180 gallons of water to make 1 pound of whole wheat flour. Farm animals are the primary consumers of water in the United States.
For the Animals
1. Farm animals are affectionate, playful, intelligent, and unique individuals.
2. Farm animals feel pain and suffer in the same way as dogs and cats.
3. About 10 billion land animals are slaughtered every year in the USA for food.
4. Pigs have higher cognitive abilities than 3 years olds.
5. Factory farms treat animals as commodities: Animals are burned, castrated, mutilated, and violently killed without anesthesia.
For Your Heath
1. Vegetarians are 25-50% less likely to suffer from cancer.
2. Meat eaters are 9 times more likely to be obese than vegans.
3. Vegetarian diets help prevent heart disease.
4. Vegan foods provide us with all the nutrients that we need, including protein.
5. It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|ChicagoVeg Choice||December 23, 2014 3:29 PM||Vadim|
|No Intoxicants Policy||October 2, 2014 11:49 AM||Vadim|
|Promoting through ChicagoVeg||August 23, 2014 10:12 PM||Vadim|
|First speech at the 3rd annual CVPP event||June 3, 2014 3:12 PM||Vadim|
|History||January 28, 2015 12:17 AM||Vadim|
|Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants||December 1, 2014 9:25 AM||Vadim|
|Sponsors||January 26, 2015 4:04 PM||Vadim|
|Vegan and Vegetarian Quotes||April 24, 2013 7:00 PM||Vadim|
|Vegan Registered Dietitian||June 27, 2012 11:58 AM||Vadim|
|Why Veg||June 24, 2013 1:31 PM||Vadim|
|ChicagoVeg Singles||January 27, 2015 1:24 AM||Vadim|
|ChicagoVeg Outreach||March 22, 2013 12:07 AM||Vadim|