Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 63
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
We are deciding route for Veggie Pride Parade and we need your help. Please comment on following issue that will help us in making betting better decision.

1) What should be length of parade
2) What route/area would you suggest?
3) Any other factors we should consider in deciding route?

We appreciate your comments. Let’s make Chicago’s first veggie pride parade big success.
Peter Rabbitt
user 13299961
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Send an Email Post a Greeting
I am in favor a Lakeview area, like Belmont, Addison, Halsted and Broadway- as there are several vegan-vegetarian restaurants in proximity, a high concentration of progressive open-minded people, and the area is pretty fun and easy to access.
Frank S.
Frankster200277
Downers Grove, IL
Post #: 3
1. I'm not sure.

2. Lakeview is good or Wicker Park or any area that has a significant veg community. One downside for Lakeview is that it is the same area as the Gay Pride Parade and might cause some confusing and redundancy. A different location would be better.

3. I think it would be great if we connected this to Chicago Vegan Mania which is in November. However, if the parade is in the summer or anytime not in November we can't do this. But if it was connected to CVM, we could have the parade END at the venue.
LeoLin L.
user 6076202
Evanston, IL
I am not sure of a neighborhood but it should have a veg friendly community and access to public transportation.
Parag
user 4974895
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 64
Thanks Peter, Frank and Leo for your valuable comments. What should be the length of parade? Which day and what time? Any thoughts on that?

We are contacting all veggie friendly organizations and businesses to get them on board. It is good idea to do parade with vegan mania in November but it may be more effective (publicity, media coverage and advertising) if we celebrate on same time as whole world does. It originally started in Europe and it is being celebrated on third weekend of May. We have not decided date yet so it is open for discussion. BTW this project is not limited to Chicago but will be done across major cities of North America, Europe and hopefully Asia soon. Here is our website linking all http://www.veggieprid...­

Thank you all. Keep posting.
Kseniya
kseniya777
Northbrook, IL
I can see advantages and disadvantages of doing the same route as the Gay Pride Parade, though maybe doing only a portion of it for the CVPP.

Advantages:
  • It is a fairly well-known route to Chicagoans.
  • May be controversial to do the same route as the gay pride parade, which might increase media awareness.
  • There is at least one veggie restaurant along that route- The Chicago Diner.
  • Densely populated area.

Disadvantages:
  • It might be controversial to do the same route as the gay pride parade because some might start thinking that we're trying to compare ourselves to the gay pride movement.
  • Costly.

I'm not sure about the logistics of this route, as it may cost more money, etc. Plus, Vadim said that he wants it to be referred to as a "walk" as opposed to a "parade" so that territory might even be off limits in such a case.
Frank S.
Frankster200277
Downers Grove, IL
Post #: 4
@Parag: I guess it makes more sense to do it during the 3rd week of May to connect with the other parades. I just didn't know when we were planning to do it.

@Kseniya: Thank you for posting. My opinion is that we shouldn't do the same route as the Gay Pride Parade. I think it would be too controversial and people would get offended. I can see some advantages such as the large gay/lesbian AND vegan population who would love to connect the two. I actually think it should be done in a different neighborhood than the Gay Pride Parade (Lakeview) but at least a different route still in Lakeview would be better.
Kseniya
kseniya777
Northbrook, IL
Post #: 3
In 2008, attendees of the New York Veggie Pride Parade marched from the Old Meat District, through Greenwich Village, to Washington Square Park. I wonder if we here in Chicago have a "meat district " and if we could do something as symbolic. There might be one in the west loop, not sure if there are others.

Here is the meet-up that New York made for the NYVPP in 2008 : http://www.meetup.com...­. They chose to do it the same week that Paris held their parade.
Surya
SS1234
Schaumburg, IL
Post #: 18
Does anyone know the route of the naked bike ride? and the Farm sanctuary walk?
Kimberly
purrgirl
Chicago, IL
Post #: 175
Kseniya,

I like the idea of the symbollism of starting the meat districts - West Loop area is really mostly warehouses, industrial spaces and I think not too much foot traffic or car traffic if we want to attract attention to our parade.
The other meat district is the Back of the Yards (Union Stock Yards) area which is on the South side - this is not the best neightborhood is Chicago -although it is changing but it too mostly industrutial warehouses and business that utilize large spaces and railroad tracks. I don't think either area would be really be the best place to start our parade.

I also don't think the same route as Gay Pride is best but not because of what people might think but more because of the space actually - where Chicago Diner is at is kind of congested area as far as traffic (car and foot) and I wonder how much space there will be for us if we are not walking on the street. And honestly (except for the not too far away new Native Foods) - there aren't any other purely veg restaurants around there.

Sri, the Naked Bike Ride route is actually kept secret until a few days before the event (so as to avoid creepies from showing up and leering. :) ) - but I know it has started in past years at 1025 W. Randolph - Ophrah's Studios). I believe Farm Sancutary is always along/close to the Lakeshore.

I think that Lincoln Ave is a good street because it is very wide in a lot of spots - doesn't have to be all on there but I remember doing the Midnight Bike Ride many years ago and there was so much space (although half was roped off for us but just an observation - was a lot easier to go down that street than when we went through the Rush Street and downtown areas where it started). I think we should make sure we think about the size of the road, foot/road traffic (lots of shopping traffic in places like Lakeview, Boys Town and Wicker Park).

I had suggested North Center (or there arounds - doesn't have to be all in that Neighborhood -we can walk through several) - but i know many veg places popping up around there.

Perhaps we can try to map out several close neighborhoods that are the highest in veg places and figure out something based on that? Or would people prefer to go through areas that are NOT very veg friendly to spread more of the message? Maybe a combo of both?