Chicagoland Astronomy Club Message Board › December 10, 2011 Lunar Eclipse Report

December 10, 2011 Lunar Eclipse Report

A former member
Post #: 30
I spent last Saturday morning at Conway Observatory in Lowell, IN to observe the brief lunar eclipse.

http://pchris00pnc.bl...­
Group Organizer
Glenview, IL
Post #: 10
Hey Paulie,

Wow that is a great blog you have there!

Looks like your scope was frozen solid!

I want to take mine out too but I'm thinking of getting a dew shield/heater first because I'm afraid of damaging the new scope. I don't know what to do if dew gets inside so I want to prevent that if possible.

Thanks for the link!
A former member
Post #: 33
I spent much more time inside the heated observatory on my computer than outside at either scope. tongue

I don't know what kind of scope you have, but dew shouldn't cause any long term problems as long as you let everything dry out before storing it for long periods. If it dews up at a star party, it would be safe to pack it up to go home, but once home take everything out to dry. If out all night at home or a campout star party, let the morning Sun burn off the dew.

Dew shields are a relatively cheap and easy first line of defense against dew. With Newtonian reflectors, they're not really necessary because the optical tube acts as a dew shield, but SCTs and refractors can greatly benefit. I have no idea how much dew heaters cost, but they seem most practical for an observatory mounted telescope. To each his own, though, and the manufacturers sure make a nice chunk of change marketing extravagant equipment to make the observing experience minutely more enjoyable.