addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicagoland Astronomy Club Message Board › Lake County Astronomical Society free observing events

Lake County Astronomical Society free observing events

A former member
Post #: 18
Hi,

I'm with LCAS (www.lcas-astronomy.org) and we've scheduled 9 free observing events at libraries in and near Lake County, IL. At these events, our members bring some very nice telescopes and we share views of the Moon and planets with visitors. The events are all free and you can visit anytime during the 7pm-9pm duration. Kids are more than welcome: we provide kids stickers and glowsticks. Plus we bring a telescope dedicated to use by kids.

This program of library outreach events is called "Astronomy Under the City Lights" because we view from the bright space around public libraries. We've had over 4,000 visitors in the previous 4 years of the program. The AUTCL program was a finalist in Astronomy Magazine's 2011 club outreach contest.

Here's the schedule for our Spring 2012 season of AUTCL:

02/27/12 McHenry Public Library
02/29/12 Fremont Public Library
03/28/12 Antioch Public Library District
03/29/12 Indian Trails Public Library
04/02/12 Ela Area Library
04/30/12 Wauconda Area Library
05/01/12 Cook Memorial Public Library (Aspen)
05/29/12 Round Lake Area Public Library
05/30/12 Fox Lake Library

You can get more information about the events at our public website ( http://www.lcas-astro...­ ) and on our Facebook page ( http://on.fb.me/LCASo...­ ) .

Joe Shuster
LCAS
Group Organizer
Glenview, IL
Post #: 11
Thanks Joe, I will definitely try to make one of these and I'll put something on the group calendar. Which ones will you be attending or will you go to all of them?
A former member
Post #: 19
I expect to be a participant in all of these events. I'll either have one of my telescopes or if we have plenty of telescopes for the crowd, I will hand out things to kids, talk to the crowd, and take photos of the event.

Joe
A former member
Post #: 36
I don't know what kind of conflicts I'll have, and Lake County IL is a long drive for this Hoosier, but I'd like to make it out to at least one or two.
Group Organizer
Glenview, IL
Post #: 13
Paulie, If you decide to go to one I will too and we can put it on the calendar here, so let me know!
Susan A.
user 19610811
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hey guys...my computer got hacked and I have finally managed to recover all of my data...This is the first I have seen an email since the 9th of January. We may go as well. Should we bring our scope?

all the best

Susan
Group Organizer
Glenview, IL
Post #: 14
Which one would you like to go to, I might go to the one on 3/28...
A former member
Post #: 22
@susan, we always welcome extra volunteers with telescopes at our events. We see non-member volunteers at about 25% of our public outreach events.

And never worry about the level of your scope. We have volunteers with 60mm refractors up to 16" dobs.

For the library events I listed, we're usually only able to see the Moon and planets. (It's too bright to see dimmer objects.) So whatever you know about those objects is more than 99.9% of your audience.

Joe
A former member
Post #: 42
I mostly agree with Joe. I do a lot of public astronomy in bright places, and usually we stick to the Moon and planets. Some deep sky stuff can still be observed under the lights, but it's usually reserved for the people who give the greatest reactions. Even then, you have to give a detailed explanation of the object, and downplay the view as much as possible. Make sure they know any photons hitting their eye have traveled a long way, in hopes that it will be better appreciated. For the most part, though, sessions near well lti areas are just to get people to look up.
Matt
user 11631328
Chicago, IL
Post #: 7
I would definitely like to go to as many of the remaining events as possible. Maybe I will have my first scope by then!