This talk will be in Chinese, conducted by our fellow meetup member, Jia Yi.
About the speaker: Jia Yi works as a full time optometrist. Having an deep interest in Chinese language and culture, she took up a part-time degree in Chinese language and literature. She learnt about the history or oracle script during her course, finding Chinese etymology fasciating. For this talk, Jia Yi is happy to share with rest on what she learnt on oracle script.
The talk is held in the Serangoon Public library, in NEX mall of Serangoon (Level 4R).
Contents of the talk:
Why do we need to have words
Types of words "system"
Intro to Oracle Script
"Father" of Oracle Script
"Address" of Oracle Script
Oracle Script & Divination
Content of Oracle Script
How are Oracle Script form
Characteristic of Oracle Script
Evolution of Chinese Character
Some background information about Oracle script:
This is an ancient Chinese writing characters used for divination. It is traced back to as early as Shang dynasty.
2) Talk begins
3) Discussion and sharing among audience
4) Refreshments (Yes. Free refreshments provided by the library)
5) Dinner together
6) Casual session of card games(San Guo Sha and others) or mix and mingle in Wendy's
Some things to note:
1)The library is cold. Please bring a jacket
2) We would like to create a critical thinking culture and hear your thoughts on the topic discussed. Here's a way to encourage you to speak up. Instead of presenting and speaking in front of the group, you can post your comments on my facebook page. I will open and create the post on the day itself.
3) Please update your RSVP. Only reply "yes", if you are seriously showing up. Put yourself in the shoe of the speaker. It's quite demoralising for the speaker to see 30 "yes" but only 10 showed up. Also, the library will prepare refreshment accordingly to the expected number of participants. Its not nice to see the food wasted.