Ciné Arts Cleveland! Message Board › New Meetup: RUSH (2013) - Cinemark Valley View / LockKeepers

New Meetup: RUSH (2013) - Cinemark Valley View / LockKeepers

Bill J.
Bill.Johnson
Group Organizer
Chagrin Falls, OH
Announcing a new Meetup for Ciné Arts Cleveland!

“A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen in  ‘Le Mans’ (1971).
As many members know, I have been involved with motorsports for most of my life including a period photographing Formula One events from 1969 to 1980.  During that time I was honored to make many life-long friends in the sport.  Some are living but many are dead, a testament to the dangers of this sport.  As well, I know that several group members have experienced F1 racing in the past.  I look forward to an engaging discussion of this new film that appears quite promising.
We’ll just see how it compares with John Frankenheimer’s GRAND PRIX (1966) which many, myself included, consider as the premiere racing film ever made, and Steve McQueen’s LE MANS (1971) (Lee H. Katzin) with its excellent cinematography.
Ron Howard now is personally involved with racing and has promised a landmark film.  Considering his achievements and commitment, we are probably screening an Oscar finalist with RUSH.  Hope you will join us then!
Bill Johnson

WHO: Ciné Arts Cleveland! and the German Language Group
WHAT: RUSH
WHEN: Saturday, September 28 at 5 p.m.
WHERE: Cinemark Valley View
DINNER: 7:30 p.m. - LockKeepers

What: RUSH (2013) - Cinemark Valley View / LockKeepers
When: Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:00 PM
Where: LockKeepers
8001 Rockside Road at Canal Road
Valley View, OH 44125

RUSH (2013)
United Kingdom/Germany
Saturday, September 28 at 5 p.m.
Cinemark Valley View
Director: Ron Howard
122 minutes
Music by Hans Zimmer and Cinematography by Anthony Dod Mantle
“A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen in the film ‘Le Mans’ (1971)
As many members know, I have been involved with motorsports for most of my life including a period photographing Formula One events from 1969 to 1980.  During that time I was honored to make many life-long friends in the sport.  Some are living but many are dead, a testament to the dangers of this sport. As well, I know that several group members have experienced F1 racing in the past.  I look forward to an engaging discussion of this new film that appears quite promising.
We’ll just see how it compares with John Frankenheimer’s GRAND PRIX (1966) which many, myself included, consider the premiere racing film ever made, and Steve McQueen’s LE MANS (1971) (Lee H. Katzin) with its excellent cinematography.
Ron Howard now is personally involved with racing and has promised a landmark film.  Considering his achievements and commitment, we are probably screening an Oscar finalist with RUSH.  Hope you will join us then!
Bill Johnson
WHO: Ciné Arts Cleveland! and the German Language Group
WHAT: RUSH
WHEN: Saturday, September 28 at 5 p.m.
WHERE: Cinemark Valley View
DINNER: 7:30 p.m. - LockKeepers
The Cinemark Valley View multiplex is located at 6001 Canal Road in Valley View just a mile north of Canal and Rockside Road, 216.447.8820.  The theater is located behind the Quaker Steak & Lube and The Oak Barrel.

Trailer (click here)
Profile of James Hunt (click here)
“There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing and motor racing; all the rest are merely games.” - Ernest Hemingway
5 p.m. RUSH - (ESTIMATED)at the Cinemark Valley View, 6001 Canal Road one mile north of Rockside Road.
Meet at the entrance door 15 minutes ahead of time or look for the group inside the theater. The flick is 122 minutes, so expect to be out around 6:30 p.m.  You may also meet us afterward outside under the marque.  If you RSVP, we will wait for you.  If you do not have a photo posted, you will have to find us.
PARKING: Free at Cinemark.  Valet parking at LockKeepers.  Some spaces are restricted for other businesses.  They do have a lot at corner – ask valet for guidance.
7:30 p.mDINNER & DRINKS & DISCUSSION –  We’ll meet dinner, drinks & discussion after the film at LockKeepers a 1 minute drive just south of the theater.  Although we’ll request separate checks, it is always best to bring cash to speed up the payment process.
It’s very important to RSVP early and cancel your dinner reservations if you can’t attend. Please be respectful of the Organizers and the Restaurants we patronize.  Thank you!
“We have costs associated with being on meetup.com that we ask you to assist with.  Our nominal $5 annual membership fee goes toward the meetup.com charges and other related administrative expenses.  Organizers are not compensated and contribute their time simply for the love of the art of film and your friendship.  Please be current on those fees.  You may use a credit card through the PayPal link in the left margin of our home page or pay the organizer in cash at your next event.
“Members of Music Cleveland! who have paid their annual $10 fee will have dues waiver for Ciné Arts Cleveland! What a deal – a twofer!”
[On the death of team mate Timmy Mayer] “The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.” - Bruce McLaren

RUSH is a 2013 American/British/German biographical­ action film directed by Ron Howard and written by Peter Morgan about the1976 Formula One season and the rivalry between drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and is due to be released on September 27.[2]­
·  Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt
·  Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda
·  Olivia Wilde as Suzy Miller
·  Natalie Dormer as Gemma
·  Alexandra Maria Lara as Marlene Knaus
·  Pierfrancesco Favino as Clay Regazzoni
·  Christian McKay as Alexander Hesketh
·  Sean Edwards as Guy Edwards

PLOT
After a catastrophic crash[5]­ at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring­ that could have killed him, Austrian Formula One driver Niki Lauda (Brühl) returns to face his rival English driver James Hunt (Hemsworth) in their pursuit of the 1976 World Championship.  Most of the focus is on the final race in a heavy downpour at the Fuji­ circuit in Japan­.
Production
The film was shot on location in Great Britain, Germany­ and Austria­.[1]­ Filming has taken place at the former World War II airfield of Blackbushe Airport in Hampshire, and the Snetterton­ (Norfolk), Cadwell Park (Lincolnshire) and Brands Hatch (Kent) motor racing circuits in Britain, and at the Nürburgring­ in Germany.[6]­[7]­ Both vintage race cars and replicas were used in the filming.
Staring: Chris Hemsworth; Daniel Brühl; Olivia Wilde; Alexandra Maria Lara; Natalie Dormer
On BACKGROUND – Spoiler ALERT!
Niki Lauda’s crash at 1976 Nürburgring GP – part 1 (click Here)

March 4th, 2008 // Posted in Motorsports­, Nurburgring historyVideo­
It’s now over 30 years since Niki Lauda‘s horrific accident at the 1976 German Grand Prix held at the Nürburgring. In a recent article for the TimesOnline­ Austrian journalist Helmut Zwickl recounts the events. It is a moving article that truly brings home the dangers of motor racing, especially from an era where safety was something thought about after the cars were designed. Indeed, Lauda himself had been campaigning for improved safety measures at the Nürburgring before the race. And so it was some irony that Lauda crashed his Ferrari on lap two.
From the horror of the brutal crash emerges an inspiring tale of human bravery, not just in Lauda’s subsequent return at the Italian GP in front of the tifosi at Monza, but also of the men who saved Lauda from his Ferrari fireball. Fellow drivers Brett Lunger, Arturo Merzario, Guy Edwards and Harald Ertl were responsible for extricating Lauda from his car and their ability to think calmly in such dire circumstances was an amazing feat. It is reasonably easy to surmise what the outcome for Lauda would have been had they not shown such fortitude. From Zwickl’s article, Lauda says, “It must have been about 900 degrees. Thankfully, I don’t know anything else about it.”
Amazingly, despite the severe burns and following reconstructive surgery, Lauda, still leading the world championship, returned to Formula 1 racing just six weeks later. He missed only two races and took the wheel of his Ferrari at the Italian Grand Prix. Not only that, he narrowly missed a podium finish when he completed the race in fourth position. The final race of the year in Japan was held in heavy rain and Lauda withdrew from the race due to safety concerns. This action probably cost Lauda his world title as James Hunt scrambled to a third place finish and in doing so the Briton took the title by just one point.
Lauda’s crash brought about the demise of the Nordschleife as a Grand Prix circuit. Formula 1 took an eight year leave of absence, returning to the new purpose built Nürburgring Grand Prix track in 1984. During that time much of the Südschleife was lost due to the new construction and, as far as Grand Prix racing is concerned, the “new” Nürburgring has not been held in quite the same regard since. In a recent interview with AUSringers, when asked if there was anything she would change about the track Sabine Schmitz said, “to change the GP Circuit back to Südschleife.”
Shortly, I will post up a 13 page German article on Lauda’s accident which will have selected text translated to English. It contains some graphic and confronting pictures of the crash, but I feel is worth posting as this incident plays such a large role in the make up of the Nürburgring’s aura.
Below is a clip of Lauda’s accident, the second is from an Italian TV interview, but also has some extra footage showing the actions of the drivers assisting Lauda from his car.
Lauda Crash (click here)
Part Two –
Niki Lauda’s crash at 1976 Nürburgring GP – part 2
March 8th, 2008 // Posted in Motorsports­, Nurburgring history
Following on from part 1 of this Niki Lauda special, below is a 13 page feature from an unknown German magazine. Some of the images contained within are quite graphic with a clearly bloodied and burnt Lauda captured on film. Also captured is the brave work of fellow drivers Brett Lunger, Arturo Merzario, Guy Edwards and Harald Ertl who came to the Austrian’s aid at the crash scene. An aerial photograph shows where Lauda’s impact happened, which was at the left-hander in between Ex Mühle and Bergwerk. This corner has now unofficially become known as either Lauda-Linksknick (Lauda left kink) or, more graphically, the Grill Kurve in reference to the horrendous burns suffered by Lauda.
Thanks for the images and translations go to Jesper Hvid and MinardiFan from theFastlane­ website’s forum. Three sections of the text have been converted to English, starting with the main article, the accident log and Harald Ertl’s account. English language photo captions have also been translated.
This article and documentation is quite lengthy even for me (BJ) to post here.  Those interested my use this link:  Click Here.

Ciné Arts Cleveland! is Theater & Performance Art · Art · Classic Films · Italian Film · Irish Film · Cinema and Films · British Film · Art House Film · Film Festivals · Foreign Films · Movies/Dinner · Independent Film · Arts and Entertainment · Books and Movies Discussions/Good Food!

Check it out!