addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Cinéma Cleveland! Message Board › Cinéphile Guide to CLE International Film Festival

Cinéphile Guide to CLE International Film Festival

Bill J.
Group Organizer
Chagrin Falls, OH
Post #: 260

Hi Cinéphiles!

The Cleveland International Film Festival (CIFF38) starts on Wednesday, March 19th! It runs 12 days, ending with a big Closing Night Reception at 9 p.m. on Sunday, March 30th.

We will schedule a number of films during the festival. All will be posted on the web site including a group event posted for the Closing Night Champagne Party. Both the champagne and the traditional chocolate chip cookies from the Ritz-Carlton are FREE!

Did you get that? Free champagne!

In the past, group members have just picked films they are attracted to and go alone or with small groups. This year I will have a number posted as official events including dinner after or in between at the Hard Rock Café, Flannery’s or maybe Morton’s Steakhouse. Check out the offerings in the Program Guide or on-line. Many films will quickly go on Stand-by so it’s best to check the web site before making plans. Go to the CIFF web site for details:

Thanks to the generosity of CIFF Executive Director Marcie Goodman, members of Cine Arts Cleveland! will have a special discount of $2 on ticket purchases. Our discount code is: CINEARTS. There will be a separate memo on our Discussion Board outlining ticket purchase and discount details. This is also posted in the file section of our web site. Please note that organizers cannot answer any questions not addressed in this posting. Direct all inquiries to the CIFF numbers listed.

Please note that the Festival attracts thousands of people to Tower City and the cinemas. This is NOT a normal film-going experience. If you responded for an event and show up at Tower City Cinemas hoping to purchase a ticket at the last minute, chances are that you will be disappointed. When ticket sales reach a certain threshold, the film is put on “Standby,” something you should avoid at all costs.

Also, please be aware that the old Huron Road parking ramp is closed and you must take a short detour into the East Bank of the Flats to access the Tower City (free) lots from Canal Road (near Sherwin-Williams). Full details are on the CIFF web site.

I highly recommend using the Rapid when and where possible. RTA runs a special late schedule to accommodate late night film goers.

Another concern will be possible conflicts with the Indians’ and Cavs’ home games. There are full listings in the program guide. This means that you will be competing for parking spots in the Tower City free lot. Arrive early or take RTA!

A word of practical advice regarding the CIFF: If possible, purchase tickets as far in advance as possible. Many of the screenings will sell out quickly after ticket sales are opened to the public on. Also, get to the Tower City Cinemas early so that you will get a spot at the front of the ticket holder line and thereby the prime seats in the show. It is always possible to go to Tower City and purchase a stand-by ticket one hour before show time if necessary. However, this is not recommended, as it is something like flying on stand-by. There are no guarantees and you’ll be corralled into a queue for an hour or more before the show. This is not fun.

Please try to avoid stand-by at all costs.

Several years ago I was late in deciding to purchase tickets for festival favorite Cherry Blossoms. That was a big mistake! I arrived 2 hours before show time to purchase tickets. Much to my consternation, I joined about 200 others waiting just to purchase stand-by vouchers, and I was at the back of the line. I never made that screening and had to select another film without adequate review. I was fortunate in selecting Ciao Bella, a fine film.

That brings me to an editorial comment. Just about all of the CIFF films are exceptional. Depending upon your personal interest and tastes, you really can’t go wrong with any of the offerings. I would encourage you to do some Google research on the films that are attractive as listed in the guide and consider some of the special events such as the Film Forums.

We are so very fortunate to have the Cleveland International Film Festival in our city along with a dedicated and professional group of paid and volunteer staff that makes it all happen so smoothly.

Some of these volunteers are also members of Cine Arts! Please thank the volunteers at the theater. They are working for your benefit without pay while you’re enjoying these world-class films.

See you at the Movies!