City Farming NYC Meetup Message Board › Help me find a garden!

Help me find a garden!

Michael
user 12348393
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a community garden or urban farming group I can join up with and participate with on a regular basis. There are loads of fantastic workshops coming and going through this meetup and I've had great fun attending some of them and they've been very helpful and informative but as we head towards spring I really hope I can find a group to get dirty with regularly! I've tried googling and searching through Oasis and Greenthumb but it looks like a lot of well meaning projects have closed down and left a lot of dead email addresses and disconnected phones by the wayside which has hampered my search!

Can anyone recommend me a community garden or Urban farming project that might need volunteers? I'm an experienced digger and organizer and I'd love to meet other people who are passionate about urban agriculture as well. I live in Woodside in Queens so somewhere round here would be ideal but I'd be happy to travel.

Some of the places I've been looking at but can't find contact details for are long island city roots, long island city community garden and ARROW.

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips, leads and pointers you might be able to give me!

Michael

mchapman154@gmail.com

(I'm cross posting this message to a few meetups I'm a member of so apologies if you get this message more than once!)

Prospect F.
user 12980113
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Michael,

Prospect Farm is a community run urban farm, 5,000 sq ft in Windsor Terrace with the mission of creating a CSA for our community. We began working in March of 2010, so we are in the early stages of developing the land. We are also the Brooklyn Food Coalition neighborhood leader for Windsor Terrace/Kensignton.

When it warms up we will have open volunteer days which will include things like digging and sifting. You can learn more on our website or email us. We will have opportunities to plant in the spring.

http://www.prospectfa...­

Best,
Naomi Donabedian
prospectfarmbk at gmail dot com
Michael
user 12348393
New York, NY
Post #: 8
Hi Naomi,
Thank you so much for that response, I'm looking at the website now and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully I'll catch up with you guys soon!

Michael