City Farming NYC Meetup Message Board › Do it Yourself Container Farming on your Fire Escape

Do it Yourself Container Farming on your Fire Escape

Kathy
polarican
New York, NY
Post #: 24
For anyone interested in practical guidance (as in plenty of videos and practical suggestions on seeds etc) on how to set up a container garden using recycled materials, check out this website. I stumbled across it while on own search for help with all those minor details that sometimes get in the way of making your garden happen (like exactly what containers could I use on my fire escape that don't take over the entire space while still yielding plenty of growing space for herbs lets say-upside down soda bottle with their bottoms cut off and strung up to the rails of the fire escape of course!)

Also great site for those of us who can't make it out to the great gardening events/venues in Brooklyn or the Bronx but still are thirsty for the show and tell. Plenty of great how to videos. Enjoy!

http://www.urbanorgan...­
Natalie
user 9256008
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 30
Mike Lieberman is good in that he advocates sub-irrigation planters, or SIPs, as he calls them: self-watering containers. They save space and resources and are a good use of discarded plastic. Look to insideurbangreen.org­ for more.