Come out and meet other people communicating in ASL. Maybe you are just getting started and have some questions - bring 'em along! Besides these events, do you have any fave places where you'd like to get together and sign? Talk it up and see who else might be interested.
So, you probably know there are other ASL groups out there. What's up with this one?
- Beginners rule! I'm getting a little better myself, but still have some learning curve issues. I try to keep a "beginner's mind" about it. It's a fun way to communicate. I'm not studying to be an interpreter, I'm not on a schedule or in a hurry, and this is not a part of my professional life.
- I’d like to see more events at local hangouts in Baltimore, rather than in malls or near DC.
- Many events out there are too far away and too early in the morning for my sleepy weekends!
- ASL Immersion is not a requirement – it’s a great method, but plenty of folks are already doing that. We're open to the discussions and questions that hearing people have when they're trying to understand ASL better. And practice. Always more practice.
- All levels are welcome, but be willing to help. If you're an advanced signer, please adjust to your audience. The goal is for everyone to communicate, learn and practice, not to be the best signer in the room. :)
Thanks for visiting, and come on out! No special invitations or requirements needed, but please join the group to follow the schedule and get reminders. I look forward to meeting-up with you!