CityWide Singles Message Board › Elections and Structure for our Group

Elections and Structure for our Group

Bianca
user 47634412
Springfield, MO
Hello Singles,

As many of you know, our group has been evolving over the past few months.  In May, Donna suggested that we use the Meetup website to communicate with our current members as well as welcome new members to our group.  Meetup has allowed us to post activities on short notice, which in turn has allowed us to get to know each other better.  We are no longer a Friday Night Dinner group - we have attained the status of the most active Meetup group in the Springfield area and now have over 150 members.  Recently, some of us have become more aware of exactly how much effort it takes to keep a group like this running.  Donna and Holly have done an outstanding job of keeping us going for years, but with the growth of the group and the number of activities, it has become obvious that we need volunteers to fill key positions to keep our group strong.  Donna asked Sharon Ashworth to chair a committee consisting of Allen Stanley, Mark Paul, Juanita Lee, and me.  Our task was to come up with a structure for our group and solicit volunteers for positions.  Below, you will find our proposed plan.  If you are interested in volunteering for a position, please respond in the Discussion Tab (http://www.meetup.com...­) on the website.  We will have ballots available at the Sunday lunch meeting at McAlister's on September 9th.  For those who want to help the group, but do not feel able to commit to a position, there will be many opportunities to volunteer.

Chairman-President - Creates annual budget and plan with input from other board members, leads/coaches/inspires board members, presides over all meetings, and represents the club in all community matters.
Vice President - Leads club in absence of the President. Works alongside the club president on key projects. Assists other officers as needed.
Second Vice President (Marketing Director) - Creates & publishes all promotional materials and maintains the club website. Oversees the following Coordinators who all work together to coordinate events and activities:
· Events Coordinator - Researches, organizes, & manages quarterly events such as dances, trips, and community projects. Establishes and oversees committees for major events.
· Activities Coordinator - Researches, organizes, & manages monthly activities such as mixers, dinners, sports, and outings. Works with Hospitality Coordinator to schedule greeters for activities.
Secretary - Records, distributes, & maintains minutes from all club meetings. Composes, edits, & distributes all club communications. We probably need to start a newsletter that gets posted to the Discussions Tab on the website on a regular (bi-weekly, monthly?) basis.
Treasurer - Manages all club financial matters. Prepares financial statements for monthly meetings. Works with the President to create an annual budget for board approval.
Hospitality Director – Trains interested members to greet at functions, and educates the group population to welcome and interact with new members. Works with the Activities Coordinator to make certain that most activities have an adequate number of assigned greeters. Follows up with new members to make them feel welcome after the initial meeting. Rotates greeters at gatherings so that more members can step into the welcoming role.

This plan allows the first three positions (President, VP, and 2nd VP) to stand alone on the board.   The VP would move up to President at the end of the VP term, and a new VP would be elected.  The 2nd VP sits on the board, but the coordinators do not.  The remaining three positions would have an office holder, and a holder-elect (all of whom sit on the board).  The terms are to be a year in length, the first six months a person moves into an "elect" position, and is mentored by the person officially holding the position.  The second six months are spent in the official position, while mentoring a new "elect" person.  This allows for continuity, sharing responsibility, and being receptive to new ideas.  The total number on the board would equal nine.

Again, we are soliciting volunteers for positions.  Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 2
I would love to volunteer for the Second VP Marketing - that's right up my alley!!
My second choice is Treasurer.

I've been in leadership in many groups and I know what I'm good at and what I enjoy :D

If you have any questions, you can contact me here or my cell: 417-496-0980

Thanks!
Bianca
user 47634412
Springfield, MO
Post #: 6
I would like to volunteer as 2nd VP/Marketing Director, but am willing to work in any capacity.
Debbie W.
user 47897962
Springfield, MO
I would like to volunteer as Treasurer.
Bianca
user 47634412
Springfield, MO
Post #: 7
Just for clarification, we need two people for the secretary, treasurer, and hospitality positions. One serves as the "official" role, while the other is in the "elect" role. Please consider volunteering - we NEED you! There will also be a need for committee members for events and activities, and volunteers for hospitality.
Donna
user 47663362
Strafford, MO
Post #: 1
I love the idea of others wanting to volunteer to help. I will be glad to help in anyway you want me to help.. I have had several ask me to still lead our group during this transition and I would love to.. So you can include me as Chairman or President. But would be willing to work in any position..
This group is such a wonderful group to work with it has been my joy to lead you all for the last 2 years.. Let's put together a great Core Team and build Citywide Singles into the GREATEST Group..
A former member
Hi, I would lilke to volunteer for the Hospitality Director or help out in this venue. Smiles, HOlly
A former member
I volunteer for the Activities Coordinator!
Sharon A.
user 47951532
Springfield, MO
Some thought I might be good as the Vice President. I would volunteer to do this if you need me to do something else I would be happy to do it also, I have made so many wonderful friendships and had so much fun doing some of the events, it has really changed my life for the better. I am happy to see many new faces and I hope they all benefit as much as I have with the friendships within our group.
Rhonda
user 47714512
Group Organizer
Springfield, MO
I volunteer to serve as Secretary or Secretary-elect, or any other position that would benefit the group. If I am needed as the Events Coordinator, I will do that instead...I cannot be there for elections as I will still be out of town, but I am happy to help out where I am needed!smile