align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Cleveland Web Design and Development Meetup Message Board The Old Forum › Hello Group! Tab Question

Hello Group! Tab Question

A former member
Post #: 13
Hi everyone!,

I've seen some class topics Aoirthoir organizes now and then, but simple things like website tab implementation was never a class topic. This may be too small of a topic, but it would excite me know
if anyone uses the jQuery, JavaScript library class, tab functionality and user interface. Also, any sites
that have working examples (other than http://jqueryui.com/...­) would be valued greatly by me! The original
tabs site has not given me a solidification of how jQuery tabs would work, meaning real-life examples that
people worked with.

I'm experimenting with the JSP framework, running .jsp, .js, .html, .css, .java bean files, and .java servlet files, on a Tomcat server on my localhost. (I am using the Windows XP operating system)

Thanks for the advice,
Edgar Zotov

A former member
Post #: 353
This is actually a good idea for a class Edgar and I will take it under review. Not just about tabs but about JQuery also!
A former member
Post #: 14
Hi,

Okay, but did you ever see a clear-cut example of jQuery tabs being made?

I was experimenting with the http://flowplayer.org...­ website, making the 3 tabs displayed. The only problem was that when I ran the source code of these tabs in Eclipse Galileo
(Note: I made these files: home.jsp; tabs.html; panes.html; styleSheet.css; so that I know I can run them on my local host without an internet connection) the tabs did not display at all, just a list of 3 links and the panes text.

The problem is probably in the fact there is a path to the 3 tab graphics () in the stylesheet the author uses. I don't understand though how the whole image can be made into tabs, but I did make a path to this picture in my Eclipse (in which I included the image file).

So, can you spot any other problems of why the tabs don't use the styleSheet.css I provided (I obviously re-named the location of the files from the online path to my local Eclipse path, so this isn't the problem.)

Thanks,
EZ
A former member
Post #: 354
EZ,

Are you using WordPress?

I had not previously used JQuery in web development because I had little need for the fancier UI elements in my development. However I have recently moved to WordPress for everything and JQuery is inbuilt. In any case I have since used a couple of plugins for WP that automate the use of JQuery tabs such as the WP UI plugin. But with JQuery from scratch not yet.

I will be learning it in future for some projects and can follow up with you then.

Perhaps sending a message to the mailing list would help answer your question.

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
A former member
Post #: 15
Hi,

I can call you Joe right, not Aoirthoir? Okay, I saw some web developers and designers posting that they use WordPress, and just yesterday I decided to try it out. It is like a blog website, but with the large amounts of page creation capabilities, something like tabs can be learned from this site (Source Code). So, my point, and I'm sure yours also, is that using something like Mozilla FireBug to study a pages tabs (on jquery.org for example) is a good way to learn, and fun I might add! So thats what I am doing now Joe, and I hope this visual "debugging" of a site will be handy when I try to understand any part of a webpage. I guess I answered my own question, but will probably post some "answerable" questions in the future, on this discussion forum. Enjoy the Friday!

Thanks,
EZ

A former member
Post #: 355
"I can call you Joe right, not Aoirthoir?"

Joseph is my strawman. Aoirthoir is my name. I request people to address me by my name.

"Okay, I saw some web developers and designers posting that they use WordPress, and just yesterday I decided to try it out."

Excellent.

"It is like a blog website, but with the large amounts of page creation capabilities, something like tabs can be learned from this site (Source Code)."

It used to be blogging software. Now it is a full CMS. Depending on what you want to do, I am suggesting you learn wordpress, find a plugin that does what you want, in this case creates JQuery tabs.

"So, my point, and I'm sure yours also, is that using something like Mozilla FireBug to study a pages tabs (on jquery.org for example) is a good way to learn, and fun I might add!"

I do it cause I have to.:D

"So thats what I am doing now Joe, and I hope this visual "debugging" of a site will be handy when I try to understand any part of a webpage. I guess I answered my own question, but will probably post some "answerable" questions in the future, on this discussion forum. Enjoy the Friday! "

Danke! and you're welcome.

My classes will start soon again.
A former member
Post #: 16
Hi,

Okay I'm using Eclipse Helios now, but in the near future I will learn either Wordpress or Drupal 7. Which would you say is easier to use?

Thanks,
EZ
A former member
Post #: 356
WordPress is undeniably easier. Drupal Users will claim that drupal is more powerful. I am dubious because both are based on PHP which means anything in Drupal you can do in WordPress.
A former member
Post #: 17
Okay. I think that I'll try WordPress in the future, it did seem that I don't have to use modules to make certain parts of the pages. Thanks for the tips Aoirthoir!biggrin