align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Climb Matrix Message Board › I want to learn trad/placing gear

I want to learn trad/placing gear

A former member
Post #: 1
I was hoping to sign up for the Mazama class to learn trad but it doesn't fit with my schedule. Is there anyone out there willing to work with me on how to place trad gear/build anchors/etc? I followed a lot of trad routes, am comfortable leading 5.10's sport, pushing 5.11 and would like to learn from someone who doesn't take shortcuts/risks with placing gear.

I'm not looking to try and get crazy with trad climbing, just really want to become proficient so I can go climb easy alpine or trad routes (5.7 - 5.9). I'm willing to buy post-instruction/climbing beers/meals if someone is willing to be patient and show me correct technique for placing gear. Just finished reading Climbing Anchors so feel I have a good idea of what needs to be done, just haven't had the gear or people to teach me.

I don't have any gear but looking to invest in some this year. Let me know if you're willing to lend a hand.

-Tom
A former member
Post #: 28
I'm thinking about organizing a trad 101 class with a certified instructor at Smith Rock. I don't know what the protocol is for this group since the organizer himself is an instructor. Would it be acceptable if i set up an event with another instructor?
A former member
Post #: 2
I'd be game for a class at Smith.