Let's start a github project

Matt Roman
mattroman
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi All,

I'd like to start an open source project for our group to collaborate on. It would give Code Strong Island an interesting direction and it's a great way to learn from each other while contributing to the community.

It's by no means a requirement to contribute, however the more the merrier. I've created a github organization for us https://github.com/co...­. If your interested in joining the github Code Strong Island organization and contributing to a project, send me your github user id and I'll add you. You can contact me through meetup.com (Contact Us) or twitter (@mattroman).

Please comment on this thread with your project/technology suggestions. If we have enough interest and enough suggestions, we can try to pick a project at our next meetup.

Regards,
Matt
Micah Silverman
user 13069147
Mineola, NY
I've had this idea kicking around for some time about a Twitter based game.

My thought is that we could setup some classic IF (Interactive Fiction) games, like Zork to be played via tweets.

Z-machine and Glulx interpreters out there that we could model or port. There are over 150 IF games in the public domain. Since a lot of the IF interpreter work has already been done, we could focus on implementing a system to be played through Twitter.

The technologies involved are: OAuth, Twitter API, HTTPS, database of some sort.

We could do this in any language.

I imagine that we could make a per-game and overall leader board and twitter followers would be able to "tune in" to games people were playing.
Siraaj Khandkar
siraaj
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3
I'm "planning" to hack together a syslog server (in Erlang) sometime in the next couple of months (hopefully have something for Erlang Factory in mid March, which I _might_ attend). Just started on cluster-commander (also Erlang). I've somewhat abandoned, but want to get back to, CSI (central systems intelligence), this one's in Python, but the idea is to have multiple agents gathering and grokking data, so different parts can be in whatever languages.

If that kind of thing interests anyone - I'd love to work/think together!

https://github.com/ib...­

Will do my best to make it to the next meetup!

-- Siraaj

P.S. Frankly, Twitter games do not quite capture my imagination just yet, but I'm willing to talk about it :)
Siraaj Khandkar
siraaj
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 4
So, I was thinking about it some more and what I think would be really cool and appropriate for the case is some sort of a peer-to-peer system. A "simple" MORPG seems to be a good fit, but could be something else. Main idea is that we come-up with a common protocol for a masterless ring and implement nodes in whatever languages we feel like. This sorta thing would allow for a great playground for many types of problems and solutions!

Does that sound crazy enough? :)
Robert Malko
user 10770380
New York, NY
Yes it sounds crazy and that's why I like it. Would love to try some peer to peer stuff.
Matt Roman
mattroman
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 2
We're going with Siraaj's erlang syslog suggestion to start. https://github.com/co...­. It's a simple problem and it will give those of us who don't know erlang a chance to learn.

I believe we'll start up some other projects as well in case anyone isn't into erlang. Let me know your github username if you want to be added to the projects.
Siraaj Khandkar
siraaj
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 7
Was doing some research on p2p games, etc. Started reading this paper:
Knutsson, B., Lu, H., Xu, W., Hopkins, B. (2004). Peer-to-Peer Support for Massively Multiplayer Games. IEEE INFOCOM 2004

Sounds pretty awesome, I'd like to attempt something similar, if at least just the plumbing with a stupid-simple game. Who knows what awesomeness can be implemented on top of such infrastructure.

P.S. This kind of stuff is what Erlang was made for! wink