I'm sorry to say that the Competition Night for Monday, October 25 will be canceled. To keep this night going, we need at least 4 people to sign up each time. At the moment, we do not have enough people participating. If anyone has suggestions for this night that might help increase attendance, please shoot an email to either Christine or me. After all, we do this for you! We will continue to think about how to make this night something that works for everybody. From this point forward, if there are not four people signed up by the day before the competition, it will be canceled. If you RSVP "Yes" for the Monday Prompt Night, make sure you check the day before the event to be sure that there haven't been any changes made. Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience.
While I have your attention...
Are you writing? *raises eyebrow*
Get to it! And then come share with us at our regular meetings on Thursday nights or Saturday mornings. Check the meetup calendar for dates, times, and locations. :)
The Coffee House Writers Group is a wildly successful and popular critique group. With over 2500 members nationwide, it's a friendly community where we writers can find support and camaraderie in the otherwise lonely pursuit of our craft. The group operates a little differently than many critique groups - members are encouraged to bring a short piece of writing to read out loud at each meeting (although it's not mandatory). Critiques are done verbally, based on how well the writing stands up to being read out loud. We do this for two reasons -
• A lot of things like flow and cadence are best picked up when a piece is read out loud
• This type of critique invites the participation of those with busy schedules who don't have time to prepare written critiques ahead of time or are already part of a written-critique-type of group
Things to expect:
• A friendly group of supportive writers to hang out with on a regular basis
• A safe supportive environment for new writers and veterans. We encourage all kinds of writing (although we do ask that you keep what you read out loud to a PG-13 rating since we do meet in public venues)
• Great feedback on your writing - CHWG critique groups have spawned several published writers and attract sustaining members that include published writers, writing teachers, editors and other professionals
Things that you will not find here:
• Judgment calls and bashing. Nope. We maintain a very supportive environment - we all have to start somewhere and even the best of writers got their beginnings some where...
• Homework. We do not publish files to be reviewed before the meetings, nor do we insist that people prepare critiques before the meetings. If you are looking for a group that will line-edit your piece for you, this is probably not going to be your group. However, if you haven’t joined a group because you can't keep up with the reading, this is your group!
• Drama. There's enough of that in our stories! Let's leave the drama on the pages.
Connect with our rapidly growing writing community:
Between meetings there is a very activeFacebook groupas well as aFacebook fan page. We also have community events, writing seminars, parties and readings in addition to critique meetings.
If this sounds like a fun interesting group, feel free to join and come to one of our meetings!
If you are interested in donating to help with Meetup fees and other costs, associated with keeping this group running, visit ourDonation Pageor visit ourwebsite. Your donation is 100% tax deductible and will go to helping a very worthy cause.