Colorado independent Game Developers Association (CiGDA) Message Board CiCGA- General Discussion Forum › CiGDA hack nights, looking for opinions

CiGDA hack nights, looking for opinions

A former member
Post #: 38
Quite a while ago I brought this idea up and then proceeded to do nothing with it. This time around things are actually happening and we are looking into having regular CiGDA hack nights.

We are planning to have the first trial hack night in November, and will announce the details for it at the October meetup.

Couple questions for the community:

• does this interest you and would you attend hack nights?
  • What night of the week works best for you? We are shooting for monthly hack nights, and so far I'm thinking Thursday nights.

A former member
Post #: 26
Hello,
What kind of things would we be doing for a hack night? coding?
I'm interested in learning java and python

Wednesday and Thursday nights work for me.
Marc W.
MarcWilhelm
Burlington, VT
Post #: 35
I would attend just to be around people and get some free play-testing :D For those unfamiliar with hack nights, they are more casual meet-up than the formal lecture/ presentation meet-uyps we usually have. CiGDA folks could just get together and work on their stuff in a social environment, chat, get/ give in-person feedback, etc.

I personally like early or mid-week for this. (MT or W) but this is just one man's opinion.
A former member
Post #: 39
That's pretty much it. Hack nights are very casual and have no agenda. Generally the idea is we all gather and work on our projects. A good way to get feedback, collaborate, socialize, etc.
Alden R.
user 30423622
Denver, CO
Post #: 7
I'd be up for this for sure. However, the first and 3rd (&5th) thursday nights of the month are surely a no for me, as those are my poker nights. Otherwise, My schedule with the limo driving job is rather varied and I find it difficult to plan around... so, yeah... Other nights or weekend days "Might" work for me.
A former member
Post #: 40
So far Wednesday is winning. I'm totally flexible. I figured weekday nights people are more likely to come. If anyone prefers weekends please shout.

I'm all for weekends myself, as I'd love to block off a solid chunk to work on my game. We'll see how these go. I am considering joining a local hack space (possibly Uncubed), and then we could have distraction free really nice hack nights, but for starters I'm sure we'll just be at a coffee shop.
Megan F.
shalinor
Group Organizer
Broomfield, CO
Post #: 6
That could be cool. It's about what our northern group meetings are like, but it'd be nice to have a more indie-focused one. It'd also be cool to see / hear about what everyone else is working on more casually.

Can't promise I'd always make it, but I'm down.
Jesse
SpaceCowboy
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
I would plan on attending at least one to see what they're like. I get the feeling i would like to attend them often.

If there were to be any sort of focus, i'd be interested in seeing strategies, approaches, and tools people use for completing a game in those weekend hack-a-thon/competitions... like in that one with the funny name i can't remember :)

[EDIT] I have no preference for which day.
Shane D.
user 61491552
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I'd be up for it, Wednesdays work for me too.
Marc W.
MarcWilhelm
Burlington, VT
Post #: 38

If there were to be any sort of focus, i'd be interested in seeing strategies, approaches, and tools people use for completing a game in those weekend hack-a-thon/competitions... like in that one with the funny name i can't remember :)

Ludum Dare?

Well, the standard meetings are the more focused ones. This topic you describe is a great and one that we can cover in a future meeting for sure. Many of us have done GLobal Game Jam, Blaze Jam, etc.

While our existing meetings are presentation and "informational, content delivery" oriented, the intent for hack night is to be more informal like a study group, just people working on their stuff mostly and getting playtesting feedback, etc.

You gave me an idea: I've added a Forum where people can suggest topics for meetings.