Colorado independent Game Developers Association (CiGDA) Message Board CiCGA- General Discussion Forum › Video of GGJ presentation & my resignation

Video of GGJ presentation & my resignation

Marc W.
MarcWilhelm
Burlington, VT
For all of you who missed the meetup on Friday:

I want to thank Rafael Fajardo, an exceedingly gracious, wise and patient mentor, who was generous enough to speak at our Friday night meetup about the Global Game Jam. It was a very informative session and the video will continue to benefit especially those who have never done a game jam before.

Here is a link to the video.

Before the meetup I made an announcement that I want to share here. After a year of organizing the Colorado independent Game Developers Association I am stepping down from my leadership responsibilities at CiGDA. I am leaving the state to pursue a faculty appointment as Assistant Professor of Game Design in the Division of Communication & Creative Media at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont. This decision was not made lightly. I have turned down opportunities to teach in higher education before because I feel very strongly that the academic establishment has certain responsibilities to students of interactive electronic media- fortunately Champlain College is a school that excels in succeeding in that capacity. It is also in a city that is a perfect fit for me and my wife.

I owe a special thank you to Megan Fox and Matt Greer who will carry on with organizing the Denver area CiGDA meetups- Megan will focus on the presentation meetups and Matt will continue to host the monthly hack nights. Dave Calebrese has offered to start a northern CiGDA arm to serve the Loveland/ Ft. Collins area of the state.

I am proud of what a few scrappy indies in a landlocked state are creating together and I expect the indie game scene in Colorado will continue to flourish and grow through a supportive environment where we continue to generously share the spotlight. The most important thing in any community is generous and honest respect for each other and the players. Inclusion and accessibility are essential challenges to be conquered in the years ahead and it is important that groups like CiGDA continue to be open to everyone.

Thank you to you all of you who so generously continue to contribute your time and energy. You have all helped in growing CiGDA to over 150 members who love making games and sharing knowledge!

-Marc

A former member
Post #: 67
Sad to see you go, but super stoked for your next gig! Thanks for all you've done for CiGDA!
Benjamin McKissick...
TeLeKiNeSiS
Denver, CO
Post #: 9
Marc,

Although I've only known you for a short period of time, you made me feel welcomed into CiGDA. I'm glad I had the opportunity to get to know you and work with you on your game at the BlazeJam. I wish you the best on your next endeavor and hopefully we'll have the opportunity to work together again. Take care my friend and keep in touch!

Benjamin