Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › January Potluck (Italian) Recipes

January Potluck (Italian) Recipes

user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 154
Post all those great recipes from our January Potluck to share in this discussion:

The "ricotta" and spinach stuffed manicotti was really easy to make. We did not cook the noodles ahead of time and it still turned out good.­

Ricotta and Spinach Suffed Manicotti

1 lbs. firm tofu
1 10 oz package frozen spinach (thawed)
1 tablespoon garlic powder or 1 - 2 cloves fresh garlic - chopped
1/4 cup nurtritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
3 or 4 tablespoon nice olive oil
1 package manicotti noodles
1 good size jar tomato sauce - I like Barilla Lasagna & Casserole Sauce

Note: A little trick I learned working in a good Italian
Restaurant in New Jersey. You do not need to precook the
Manicotti Noodles, just leave the filling a bit wetter than
you normally would. The same goes for lasagna noodles.

Oven @ 375 degrees

Drain spinach by squeezing in hands over the sink, not
totally dry! Remove tofu from water and put into food
processor or bowl. Add spinach, garlic, salt, pepper,
oregano, yeast flakes, and about 2 Tbsps olive oil. Pulse
or mix by hand in bowl until well mixed and smooth, scaping
sides of bowl. Taste. Adjust seasoning. Fill large zip
lock or regular plastic bag w / mixture. Snip about a dime
size hole in bottom corner. Pipe mixture into manicotti
shells, filling compactly. Pour tomatoe sauce into a large
bowl. Fill jar up w / about 1/2 - 3/4 cup water. Put top
back on jar and shake well to further remove any remaining
sauce. Add to sauce in bowl, mix well adding some olive
oil. Ladle 1/2 sauce into a large retangular pan. Put
stuffed manicoti into sauce. Top w / remaining sauce. Bake
, covered 20 - 25 min. Remove cover and bake another 10 -
15 min, until nice and bubbly and a little crunchy. If you
have some vegan mozzerella (SOYMAGE), you can shred it and
top the noodles during the last stage when the noodles are
cooking uncovered. I don't think the soy "cheese" makes
much of a difference, but it does make the dish look a bit
more traditional. Let cool a bit and ENJOY!!

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 40 min.
A former member
Post #: 50
Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti from

**i made this pretty much as listed, except a bit less maple syrup and only half the chocolate for dipping. i also used a few tablespoons of soymilk to help the dough come together. half the chocolate was enough for one recipe, but you would need more if you wanted to double dip the biscotti**

1 cup hazelnuts
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2/3 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup safflower oil, divided
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
2 cups vegan chocolate chips

Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until fragrant. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and increase the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees. Allow the hazelnuts to cool slightly, then place them on a towel, enclose them with the towel, and rub the hazelnuts with the towel to loosen their skin. Transfer the hazelnuts to a cutting board, roughly chop them, and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together both types of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, place the maple syrup, 1/2 cups safflower oil, vanilla, and almond extract, and whisk well to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold the chopped hazelnuts into the dough.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set one aside for later use. On the remaining cookie sheet, shape the dough into two logs that are 2 1/2 inches wide. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown and feel firm and dry. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, transfer the logs to a cutting board, and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Divide the slices between the two cookie sheets, standing them upright, and spacing them an inch apart. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until dry and crisp. Allow cookies to cool.

While the cookies are cooling, prepare the chocolate coating. In the top of a double boiler, place the chocolate chips and remaining 2 T. safflower oil, and cook over low heat until chocolate chips have melted. Stir the melted chocolate chip mixture until smooth. Dip one of the cut sides of each biscotti into the melted chocolate and then place them chocolate side up on a rack. When you have finished coating all of the biscotti, place the rack in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate coating to harden fully. Store the biscotti in an airtight container.

Yield: 20-24 biscotti
A former member
Post #: 4
I loved all the delicious italiano! Thanks for sharing the recipes, guys! :)

I loosely followed this recipe for the minestrone:­
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
Lemon Tarts

I used this recipe, and I went with pre-made phyllo cups, and almond milk instead of water. The recipe includes how to make the cups from phyllo sheets if you're feeling motivated smile

I also used Florida Crystals organic sugar- no bone char used in the refining process!

Garlic Bread

After an embarrassing attempt at homemade bread, I ended up using a loaf of Panera's Stone Milled Rye, and at home mixed fresh chopped rosemary and minced garlic with earth balance. Nothing special, just wanted to share in case anyone was interested!
A former member
Post #: 5
Barb, Where do you get pre-made phyllo cups?
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 9
In the freezer section of most any store (altho I didn't see any at Sunflower!). Albertsons and King Soopers in town both have them (also available in tomato and spinach flavors).

They come in a thin, rectangular box, usually 15 or so cups per box.
A former member
Post #: 6
Oh, okay. Thanks so much. I can't wait to try and make so yummy!!
user 3225683
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 6
I made the "Classic Pesto" from Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (my go-to gal when I need a great vegan recipe) and tossed it into some potato gnocci. However, I use this pesto recipe with a lot of different meals. It's very handy and both a crowd and family favorite!

1/2 cup walnuts
3 cups packed basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (I usually add less than this, taste it to your liking)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Toast the walnuts on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn once in that time.

Combine the walnuts, basil, garlic, and salt in a food processor or blender, and process while you add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Add the nutritional yeast and lemon juice, and pulse to combine. The sauce should be the consistency of a slightly grainy paste, not a puree.
A former member
Post #: 7
Mmm! Thanks for sharing Heather. I'm so excited to make this! Thank you for making it so I could fall in love with it.