Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Oprah and 378 Staffers Go Vegan

Oprah and 378 Staffers Go Vegan

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 155
Oprah and her staff are going vegan for a week - see the trailer below for her show airing on Tuesday, Feb 1 - Looks like an especially good show to recommend to our family and friends that eat meat.

http://www.oprah.com/...­

Please pass it on!!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 157
What were your thoughts on this show? If you missed it..it will replay on Comcast Cable at 10 pm.

I thought it was great! Even if just opening eyes to what people eat. They made a good point that if you have a problem seeing where meat comes from maybe you should not eat it. I have many friends that really don't want to know or see the processing of killing animals. What did you think of the show?

Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 10
I liked it too Lisa. (didn't watch when they went into the meat packing plant.) Hopefully the show will nudge those who haven't wanted to look at where their meat comes from, to start questioning it more.
A former member
Post #: 53
as my husband said, any press for being vegan is good. i thought the highlights of oprah's staff members that were going to continue trying veganism was good. i also agree that people should know where their food comes from. however, i also think that a show about a vegan challenge should have focused more on being vegan (reasons, recipes, other vegan guests) and less about why it's still ok to eat meat (though maybe oprah feels she has to present that side since she was sued before). it also seemed like they would switch from sort of making fun of it, or how extreme it is, to why it's good and the valid points.

this blog post summed up my feelings about michale pollan's appearance pretty well, especially his comment near the end of the show which seemed completely misplaced:

http://saywhatmichael...­
Jay
user 8858691
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 9
What's the deal with Lisa Ling? I don't get how someone who's kind, compassionate and intelligent can witness, up close and personal and in all its graphic detail, the slaughter of those cows and still choose to eat them. I will not take her calls anymore
A former member
Post #: 5
I did not like the fact that it showed the most humane slaughter house in North America - in reality most slaughter houses are not that humane. I think it could mislead people into thinking it is not that bad.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 111
Hmmmm....well, yes, Oprah has to be "careful" with what she says and what the people on her show say. It shed only an "okay" view on being vegan. I wasn't thrilled to see the food Kathy Freston was focusing on and I don't feel the staff cooking at home had good direction/cookbooks on how to prepare all the wonderful vegan dishes out there. I saw very little greens/veggies on their plates and the negative responses toward the food unfortunately will stand out more to viewers than the positives. I also thought Kathy Freston could of done a better job debunking the "protein myth". She mentioned none of the veggies/nuts/seeds that contain protein. I would of loved to hear her educate people on amino acids, how the body breaks down protein, how much protein the body really needs. She had a huge platform to provide great nutritional information/facts and she missed the mark. I wish Lisa Ling would have asked more investigative questions. When she saw the cows being fed corn....perfect opportunity to ask the obvious question "are cows designed to eat corn?" I felt she smiled a little too much during her tour of Cargill. Was she truly able to show any other emotion or did they debrief her to react a certain way so that it didn't reflect poorly on the company?

The show's message board is pretty heated on her website. It's received over 1,000 comments. I'm proud to see the Vegans standing proud and strong against the skeptics and dairy/beef farmers.

So, in summary, I wish they would of:
Gone vegan longer than a week (opportunity to share more success stories)
Provided their staff with a good vegan cookbook to take home (easy to prepare, healthy & tasty ingredients)
Shed a better light on good vegan food/dishes (showcasing a good vegan chef)
Had a better panel to debate the nutrition topics
Educated themselves more through books, documentaries, etc., giving them the opportunity to make "connections" and understand ALL the different reasons people go vegan (health, environment, compassion and so on).

I agree with Gail that it was better than nothing and it's a gentle nudge to get people thinking. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see the show from Oprah that really shares the horror of the industry and the true reality from a health, environmental, ethical stand point.

Interesting blog that Gail posted above in regards to Michael Pollan. It brings up some good points!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 158
Did anyone record the show that I could get on a DVD? I know people that missed it but would like to see it if I can get a copy. There are some clips on from the show including Lisa Ling's going into a slaughterhouse if anyone wants to at least check those out.

http://www.oprah.com/...­

I would agree that is was a little strange that Lisa Ling was smiling during the slaughter of the animals. I don't know if she was trying to cover emotions or not? Seemed odd though.

I also think that was a "clean" slaughterhouse. To think that they all look like that is wishful thinking. And keep in mind that it was a scheduled visit. And why would they not show that actual killing of the cow?

A former member
Post #: 56
i think this is a good write-up of the show too: http://veganhope.com/...­

there were many thing missing from the show, but i bet it prompted many people to change, or at least consider change, which is a good thing.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 112
I agree Lisa....if the the cows are being slaughtered "humanely" then why not show it? My sister brought up a good point that Cargill probably had editing rights. Maybe Lisa Ling was more investigative but it was cut. Cargill showed the viewers what they wanted them to see.
I recorded it Lisa but don't have a way to get it to DVD. I few people on her site are asking for a re-run so I wouldn't be surprised to see it aired again (or aired again on her network).

That was a good article Gail and sums up a lot of what people are feeling. True, it's easy to focus on what should of been said or what they didn't do. I have not looked through Kathy Freston's book "Veganist" but will be sure to check it out. It's great to hear it was boosted as a number one seller on Amazon since the show aired. I'm sure it covers topics a lot more thoroughly than what she had time to cover in an hour or less and I'm glad people are buying it. I have no doubt the show is making people think. smile

Why are vegans feeling slided? It's a passionate subject for so many people. We deserve our fair representation! Kathy Freston had a tough job and needed more vegan support, after all , it is a show on going vegan. I'd love to see a follow up show, as the topic needs more than an hour. If Oprah is going to give it any attention then you just want it summed up perfectly.

I watched parts of the show again and I'm glad Kathy was able to squeeze in some good points at the end:

Michael Pollan: "I hate to cast any kind of shadow over this dietary revival meeting" and then Kathy said "then don't, let it be"

Kathy: "for me, watching that video, it doesn't sit right in my soul"
"I have to ask myself, can I look into the eyes of an animal and say that your suffering or your pain or your fear is not as important as my appetite"
Then Oprah felt compelled to say "but they don't make them suffer, they aren't making them suffer"
".....and Lisa Ling is still eating meat".

SAY WHAT OPRAH?? As many are saying, that was the Disney version of factory farming and far from the truth. But the temple grandin system still sounds horrible, surprising the cow with a bolt through it's head supposedly desensitizing it to pain, slitting it's throat and then leaving it to bleed to death. And what about all the other billions of animals being killed (chickens, pigs, goats, turkeys.....). I'm glad Kathy was quick to bring up that point.

Google Cargill and E. Coli!