addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › "Factory Farm Reality" letter posted in the Independent

"Factory Farm Reality" letter posted in the Independent

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 163
Did anyone see this letter in the Independent? If not see the link below. If anyone knows Carl be sure to thank him for getting the info out there! I did not know about some of those bills myself.

http://www.csindy.com...­

Factory farm reality

Free press advocates have been outraged recently by bills in Florida, Iowa, and Minnesota legislatures to prohibit possession and display of videos of factory farming. Yet, for the meat, dairy and egg industries that push for these bills, the prohibition makes perfect sense.

A year ago, undercover investigators exposed E6 Cattle Co. in Texas chaining dairy calves in tiny wood crates and bludgeoning their skulls with pickaxes. Last June, Cal-Cruz Hatcheries in California was found to grind up and suffocate live chicks.

In August, Iowa's Hillandale Farms and Wright County Eggs were forced to recall 550 million eggs for salmonella contamination. If I were running one of those operations, I certainly wouldn't want people with cameras anywhere near my facilities.

Filthy conditions and cruel practices are likely to remain legal and commonplace on U.S. factory farms, and their operators will continue to avoid public exposure.

Our only option, as consumers, is to stop subsidizing these conditions and practices at the checkout counter by shifting to wholesome, cruelty-free vegetables, fruits and grains, as well as grain- and nut-based meat and dairy substitutes available in every supermarket.

— Carl Silverman

Colorado Springs
A former member
Post #: 10
It is a shame that these industries would try to squelch free speech in such a manner. I don't think they will pass because of the chilling effect such a ban would have on free speech rights.

I was glad to read that Carl advocated a vegan diet and not cage-free eggs, organic milk and meat, and the lot, as seems to be so common now.