add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach

Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach

A former member
Post #: 11
I've brought this topic up at a few meetups but have not discussed it at length.

There are six principles to this approach, which you can read for yourself at the site, but I will post one here:

"We recognize that we will not abolish overnight the property status of nonhumans, but we will support only those campaigns and positions that explicitly promote the abolitionist agenda. We will not support positions that call for supposedly “improved” regulation of animal exploitation. We reject any campaign that promotes sexism, racism, heterosexism or other forms of discrimination against humans."

This principle resonates for me because I feel that regulatory campaigns only perpetuate the myth that it is somehow okay and morally justifiable to use animals for our own benefit, so long as we treat them "humanely". I would not consider any food use of an animal "humane". The "cage-free" chicken is still being forced to more eggs than is natural, and not to her benefit, but to ours; the "organic" cow is forced to repeatedly give birth so that we humans can drink her milk, again for our benefit.

This approach repeatedly stresses that the most important thing that you can do to help animals is to go vegan, which is what sets this group apart from most other animal rights/welfare groups.