Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Meatless Monday Recipe Ideas (March 11, 2013)

Meatless Monday Recipe Ideas (March 11, 2013)

JL F.
user 25105732
Group Organizer
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 37
How about on Mondays we share a favorite recipe in honor of Meatless Monday?

BBQ Pulled Jackfruit

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 tsp avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1/4 cup onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 17-ounce can jackfruit, packed in water (NOT syrup)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (use more or less, to taste)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup filtered water
1 tablespoon date syrup (or maple syrup)

Instructions

Pressure Cooker Instructions

Heat avocado oil on medium-high heat in an uncovered pressure cooker.
Saute onion and garlic for just a few minutes.
Add jackfruit and all remaining ingredients, stir, and lock the pressure cooker lid in place.
Bring to pressure.
Cook at pressure for 10 minutes.
Allow for a natural release.
Remove the pressure cooker lid, away from you.
Stir the jackfruit and sauce well and begin to use your spoon, or a fork, to pull pieces into shreds. This should be very easy to do with your spoon.

Suggested Slow Cooker Instructions (with my thanks to Ambur)

Mix all ingredients, except oil and jackfruit, in a bowl.
Add oil to the slow cooker, the add the jackfruit.
Pour the BBQ sauce over the jack fruit, coating it well.
Cover and slow cook on low for 3 – 4 hours.
NOTE: I have not tested these suggested slow cooker instructions – you may need to keep an eye on it to ensure there is enough liquid.

One can of jack fruit makes enough for four hearty sandwiches.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 204
Those look really good JL!

Here's our meatless Monday meal tonight.....Tempeh Black Bean Chili!

I made this recipe up as I went. Chili seems like one of those meals you can do that with. In a larger pot, I sauteed two cloves of garlic (chopped), one shallot (chopped) and three carrots (chopped) in a little water until softened (use any kind of onion you have around). I then added one package of Tempeh. I like White Wave Tempeh because of the mild taste and the way it crumbles nicely. Add a little more water to saute, salt to taste and chili pepper to taste. Let the flavors meld a bit then add one can organic diced tomatoes, one can organic black beans (drained and rinsed), and one can organic pinto beans (drained and rinsed). I didn't have any kidney beans on hand but they would also make a nice addition or could replace the pinto beans. Fill the empty diced tomato can with water and add to the pot (or add one can veggie broth). Bring to a boil and then simmer until nice and flavorful and a little thicker. Your home will smell yummy! Add more seasoning to taste (salt, chili powder, pepper) and more water depending if you like it "soupier" or less water if you like it thicker. Also, add whatever else you might have on hand....corn would be a nice addition or chopped zucchini. Serve plain, with crackers (my girls like the bunny and heart saltine crackers by Annie's...pictured), salsa, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, black olives, chopped tomatoes, and/or fresh cilantro. Again, the options are endless.