Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › My Vitamin D Story!

My Vitamin D Story!

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 214
I recently had the Dr. check my Vitamin D, B12, and Iron. This has been on my "to-do" list for sometime now. I explained to my Dr. that I just wanted to make sure I was on track. Well, the good news is my CBC (complete blood count) levels all came back normal/good and my B12 came back normal/good. However, I was a little low on Vitamin D. It was a 27. My multi-vitamin contains 1,000 IU's (which I take daily) and I also take a 400 IU vegan D (1-2 times a week). I guess this isn't enough in combination with all the vitamin D fortified food and drinks I consume. The nurse told me a good range for D is 30 - 100. So, I'm not too terribly low, but I'm still low and considered deficient! My Dr. wants me to go on a prescription Vitamin D (50,000 IU's....WOW!) which I take once a week for 12 weeks. At that point, I am to get my Vitamin D level re-tested. If it's gone up, he'll switch me back over to an over-the-counter D. I don't think low vitamin D levels are found just in the vegan lifestyle. From my reading, low vitamin D levels are found across the board, especially, with the amount of sunscreen we all now use.
Vitamin D2 is vegan and vitamin D3 is not. Research points toward D3 as being better absorbed by the body. Ugh! I'm sure my prescription is not vegan (I pick it up on Thursday). At this point, I realize low vitamin D is nothing to mess around with so I'm willing to take the prescription strength to get it up and then talk to my Dr. about trying to maintain my levels with D2. In the meantime, I'll continue to research this debate between D2 and D3. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2009issue2/2009_issue2_vitamin_d.php­

Anyway, I encourage everyone (no matter what your lifestyle) to get your Vitamin D checked. It's very, very important!

"higher levels of vitamin D are necessary to provide protection from more serious chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, infections, multiple sclerosis and more." http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/21/how-to-get-your-vitamin-d-to-healthy-ranges.aspx­

Does anyone else have a vitamin D story? Does anyone have a success story about raising their vitamin D levels with D2 vs. D3?
Kelly A.
texasbounce
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 36
My sister in TX just had the same diagnosis, and she is a meat-eater. She was prescribed 50,000 IU once per week for a while, and then 2000 IU per day after that. I'm pretty sure he told her to take D3. He told her it would help with her sleep issues, appetite, energy, mood, and irregular cycles. Let us know how it works for you!
Juanita
user 78853312
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 2
Just prior to us starting on our vegan journey my husband was found to have very low Vit. D levels. So it's not just a vegan issue. We'll know in a couple weeks if the mega-supplement he's been taking has been effective.
Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 31
Wow Shannon, 50,000 mg? That's a big amount, even if not daily. My level was about 34 a year ago, but the range is so big, wonder if one would be better off in the 70 or 80 range? I'm going to up my daily 1000 mg a bit. Thanks for sharing and btw, the hot chocolate was yummy. So glad to know there's powdered soy milk out there! :-)

Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 32
PS - I meant IU's, not mg. :-)
JL F.
user 25105732
Group Organizer
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 46
Vitamin D is definitely an issue for everyone, not just vegetarians and vegans. Mine is super-low (12) and I'm now taking a vegan supplement (5000 IU daily). My husband, not vegan or vegetarian and an avid outdoor athlete who gets lots of sun, has low Vit D, too.

Ginny Messina offers some great insight on the issue here: http://www.onegreenpl...­
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 216
Thanks, ladies, for sharing your stories!

I was pleasantly surprised today, when I picked up my prescription, that it was for vitamin D2 (50,000 IU's). I guess the Dr. took good note of my lifestyle. Plus, for some reason, I assumed D2 didn't come in 50,000 IU's (that only D3 did). I will definitely keep you posted as to how this high dose helps (what part of the range it gets me up to) and if I notice any changes.