addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Jeffrey Smith at UCCS on 15 Sep -- FREE event

Jeffrey Smith at UCCS on 15 Sep -- FREE event

A former member
Post #: 30
Hi everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here. It is definitely food related and, imo at least, even more relevant to vegetarians and vegans who rely more heavily on products like soy than the average person.

In any case... if not, apologies! If so... here goes...

On September 15th, from 3-5 PM, Jeffrey Smith will be speaking at UCCS. This is a FREE event and parking is also FREE since it is on a Sunday.

For those unfamiliar with Jeffrey's work, he is a leading food advocate and educator on genetically engineered foods. He is the author of Seeds of Deception and Genetic Roulette.

For those unfamiliar, genetically engineered foods are lab-created foods where genes from the DNA of one species are extracted and artificially forced into the genes of an unrelated plant or animal in a way that would never occur in nature. The foreign genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals or even humans.

They are untested for long term safety, completely unlabeled in our country (even though SIXTY-FOUR other countries, including China, Syria, and Kenya severely restrict, label and even ban them), and in about 85% of processed foods.

Last year, biotech spent almost $46 million to stop labeling, and in result Prop 37 in CA failed, though by a very narrow margin. This year, the same is happening in Washington state.

I got involved in the movement when I realized my daughter was allergic to these foods, as has been the case with many others.

GMOs have a significant effect on gut bacteria and have been linked to obesity, ADHD, behavior issues, Tourette's (as with my daughter), infertility, IBS and other digestive issues, allergies and cancer, to name a few. Kids are especially vulnerable because of their developing immune systems, though I have met many an adult whose health has drastically improved with a non-GMO diet.

If you are at all interested in the topic, please do consider attending. If nothing else, Jeffrey is an engaging speaker who will really leave you thinking, and seeing him in person is really a once in a long while opportunity.

Anyway, here is the flyer. Please consider attending and spread the word, as it is such an important food safety issue that really does affect everyone.

Thanks for reading!

Kim R.
user 12314994
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 30
Thanks for posting this! The flyer is empty... does it have any other info about location or RSVP?
A former member
Post #: 36
Weird that it's not pulling up.

Yes. 15 Sep, 3-5 PM, UCCS Berger Hall, free parking :-)
A former member
Post #: 37
Here's a link to the flyer off-site: http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx...­