Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Advise for a New Vegetarian Requested

Advise for a New Vegetarian Requested

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 28
One of our members would like your advise for a new vegetarian. Please help and give your advise and tips. Thanks everyone!

How did you deal with the meat cravings when you first went vegetarian?
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 20
I talked with a nutritionist and she said if you crave meat, you might be craving protein (like that found in meat) which means your fat intake might be low. Try increasing your fats (the good fats)...a great way to do this is to eat an avocado. You can buy avocado in bulk at Costco (if you happen to be a member) for a great deal. Eat one a day and see if this helps. I enjoy my avocado sprinkled with a little salt and pepper or make some guacamole. Here's a quick, easy and tasty way to make some - avocado mashed with lime juice, salt, and garlic. Or try it on a bagel or toast sliced with some tomato and red onion (salt and pepper to taste). Hope this helps.
A former member
Post #: 1
When I first stopped eating meat, they didn't have all of the 'fake' substitutes that they have now. Maybe it's been too long, but I love the morningstar veggies crumbles, steak strips, sausage patties, chicken breasts, meatballs, etc. I use them in any recipe that calls for the 'real' thing. The only difference is that you don't really need to cook the substitutes like real meat. So, I usually just add it in towards the end in time to warm it up. Good luck!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 32
I just saw on Oprah today that they have this vegetarian (not vegan) mayonnaise that tastes just like bacon. This might be great on a vegeburger or sandwich for someone that wants that "meat" flavor. http://www.baconnaise...­
A former member
Costco has Boca Burgers and if you add some garlic powder and salt before cooking them and use olive oil to cook them then most people cannot tell the difference. The response that mentioned the missing protein is very true as well but in addition to that on the tastebud side you are probably most likely missing the saltiness that was associated with meat. Most everyone seasons their meat with some form of salt and so when you think about it, it is not actually the flavor of meat you miss (since meat does not have a whole lot of natural flavor by itself), it is probably the savory salty flavor that is missing from your diet. Try dishes that have loads of flavor on the savory side such as vegetarian chili (I have a great recipe from a vegetarian cookbook if you would like it) or a veggie stew or veggie tacos, that type of stuff. Of course if you need recipes for anything, just ask, I am sure we all have a million we would be happy to share. Be sure to get lots of protein in your dishes using beans or lentils, they really make a difference in the cravings as you come off the "protein high" of meat and will keep you from feeling light headed or getting a headache. And remember you have made an awesome choice for yourself by becoming vegetarian and we are here to help support your decision. Best of luck!
A former member
i honestly never craved meat after i stopped eating it but i almost immediately started using lightlife meat substitutes(you can buy at whole foods) they have fake chicken, gruond beef etc that is soy based. whole foods also carries fake pepperoni, canadian bacon, bacon also soy based and they taste amazing!!
A former member
Post #: 2
Chandie is right about the meat substitutes. We tried the pepperoni on pizza and subs and the kiddos loved it. They like it straight out of the package too. The breakfast "sausage" is great but needs a little salt sprinkled on it before cooking to get that true "Jimmy Dean" flavor. We also marinade slab-type slices of tofu in olive oil, soy sauce and a smidge of worcheshire sauce over night then pan grill and use on sandwiches as a meat subsitute as well, very tasty.