Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Confused over Soy Debate

Confused over Soy Debate

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 22
Morningstar and Boca made it really easy for me in the kitchen when substituting meat out of dish in order to make it vegetarian (a lot of the recipes I've posted have these substitutions). I never really gave much thought to the process they have to go through in order to get it into that form. I just figured if it's made out of soy, etc. it can't be bad for you. I'm not a nutritionist by any means but lately I have been paying more attention to the "soy debate". If you are a label reader you'll probably find that soy is found in A LOT of foods. It's my understanding (and I agree) that soy should not be our main protein source. Better sources of protein would be beans or nuts/seeds. I recently came across a video that you may be interested in viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZs0DGW1Jk&fmt=18­
Bottom line, this particular Dr. feels that soy (if in the unfermented state) is bad because it has been genetically modified (GMO food), is loaded with Trypson inhibitors which decrease our ability to consume and digest protein, impairs thyroid function, impairs the bodies ability to absorb minerals, and the levels of estrogen cause menopausal issues in women and issues for young children and infants. In addition, he says Soy Protein Isolate has increased levels of aluminum and MSG. Good forms of soy would be Tempeh or Miso.

It's frustrating and I'm bummed but it also makes sense. Awhile back I switched our family to mostly nut milks (avoiding soy milk) but we still enjoy occasional tofu in stir fry or in the egg salad recipe I posted yesterday!

The more I dive into this intriguing debate, I find myself becoming reluctantly more confident that a whole/raw food diet is the best answer for the health of my family.

Okay, so after being wakened by a thunderstorm and enjoying a glass of wine...I continue to wrestle with some thought provoking questions:
How processed are a lot of the vegetarian foods we consume?
Do we really want to imitate the taste of meat?
How bad is unfermented soy?

A former member
Post #: 7
This whole issue of health and nutrition is very confusing. I think that we have to sift through a lot of information to finally come out to the truth. When I was a vegetarian and trying to get my family to eat healthier, but still provide some of the foods they had come to love, I bought some of the organic, less-processed health foods. However, I began to watch the major corporations take over and buy out the little familiar brands. Do you know that Kraft owns Boca and Kellogg's owns Morningstar. That could be one reason why these foods taste so good, but are they truly good for us? Can we trust these companies based on their track records? Personally, I don't think so.

I chose to take complete control over my food choices and know exactly what is in my food. That is one of the reasons that I eat a raw food diet. When I spent some time at the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center in Arizona, Dr. Gabriel Cousens shared with us his belief that soy was not a good food to eat regularly. I personally use nuts, seeds, and protein powders to satisfy my protein needs. My girls still drink a little soy milk because I can't get them to drink nut milks and they eat a little soy in healthier processed foods, but we are careful of the brands.

I think that the longer you are vegan/vegetarian, the less you want to imitate the taste of meat. Or, that has been my experience.

Have a great day!

Carol

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 23
Thanks for the reply Carol! It's great to hear your thoughts and feedback.
CZ
caltaraz
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 1
Hi Shannon,

Thanks a lot for starting this discussion. I've never been a big fan of trying to emulate the texture and flavor of meat, dairy, eggs, etc. Why not just embrace the wide variety of foods we have available in either their natural, recognizable state or pretty close to that?

I'm really glad you brought this up. I had truly no idea. I'm going to try to be a more cautious consumer. That doesn't mean I'm going to turn my nose up at edamame, but I'll put more consideration into my grocery selection.

Have a great day everybody!
A former member
Post #: 9
I haven't done much research about this issue, but intuitively it makes sense that too much soy might be a problem. I also prefer to eat foods that are less processed and more local, when possible. So what we usually do is try to eat a wide variety of foods and get most of our protein from various kinds of beans and nuts. We do sometimes eat soy-based fake meats (mostly for convenience), and we still eat small amounts of tofu and soymilk, but overall we consume much less soy than we did five or ten years ago.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 24
Thanks for the feedback Caltara and Kristin! I enjoyed reading your thoughts...

See you soon!