Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Staying healthy during cold and flu season (and all year round) - Neti Pot ,

Staying healthy during cold and flu season (and all year round) - Neti Pot , Omega - 3 Fats, Antioxidants, Oregano Oil

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 31
Neti Pot - helps relieve cold and allergies
http://www.livestrong.com/article/117293-neti-pots/­

I purchased a ceramic one at Whole Foods. Walgreens also carries decent varieties - cheaper and good for travel.

Antioxidant-rich foods and Omega 3
"Antioxidants protect the body’s tissues against stress and inflammation and enhance immune function,” says Cindy Moore, a registered dietitian and the director of nutrition therapy at the Cleveland Clinic.
“Omega-3 fatty acids promote blood flow and the production of anti-inflammatory substances, which also boost immune function."

resource: http://www.realsimple.com/health/preventative-health/cold-flu-allergies/stay-healthy-cold-flu-season-10000001555312/­

For vegetarians and vegans flax seed/oil and walnuts are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids.

I put 1 tsp. of Udo's 3-6-9 oil in my smoothie and my 8 and 6 yr. old's smoothie everyday! It can be found at Whole Foods and Sprouts. Although it's kind of expensive, the large bottle lasts a long time in the fridge.
http://udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm­
Great sources of antioxidants are Green Tea and Cranberries. Costco is carrying a 3lb. bag of cranberries for $5.49. They freeze great!

CRANBERRY SALAD SMOOTHIE BY VITAMIX
1/2 (65 g) medium banana, peeled
1 (130 g) medium orange, peeled and quartered
1 (30 g) baby carrot
1/4 cup (30 g) chopped celery
1/2 cup (48 g) fresh cranberries
1 cup (240 ml) ice cubes
*A handful of walnuts is good in this one too
Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
Blend for 1 minute or until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately.
*This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.

If you have more information to add or have found a great natural product to help stay healthy, please share!

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 57
Great tips! I have seen the Neti Pot but have been intimidated to use it. Maybe it would be a good time to try it this year. Thanks for the information!
A former member
Post #: 19
These are great suggestions. Thanks. A few weeks back, I posted an article on my website about natural ways to beat the flu. I also link to a great rap song about the flu vaccine. You can check it out at:

www.radiantreality.com/fluvaccine.html­

Carol

Sharon Schulman, B...
SharonSchulman
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 8
Sorry that I didn't know how to upload all 4 pages in one upload since they were 4 different documents on my computer. If anyone knows how to do that let me know.
Thanks to everyone for their input. Sharon
Sharon Schulman, B...
SharonSchulman
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 9
Somehow I missed your post Shannon. Thank you for that.
My sister is a nurse and has noticed that not only are children very susceptible in being hardest hit, but women are also hard hit. This hasn't been mentioned. She knew a lady who got a sore throat, it went to her chest and in 4 days she died. Of course that scared me. I have had a sore throat, laryngitis for the past 6 days... was nervous.
I just found out a dear friend was hospitalized on Sep 30 from the flu and went into ICU, lung collapsed, she went into a coma and was taken off life support on Mon where she died an hour later. She has an 8 yr old son and no father. Her sister is taking the boy. I was shocked.
So I've been watching myself for it not to progress, being that my immune system is compromised. But I succeed the 4 days and am feeling quite well, despite the sore throat-so I don't enjoy talking. My take on this, is having a good, conscious life style with food, (vegetarian or better), herbs and supplements. We have to make these changes early in life and stick with them, of course with the 'occasional cheating'. But staying on track 95% of the time. The worse we eat, the less our bodies can fight off infection. Most people don't have a clue the foods they eat are making them sick or keeping them sick.

I am also taking a product, called Silver Shield, silver sol process. It has a US patent (US Patent #7135195 go to the last 2 pages), so we can actually say that it destroys the flu, flesh eating bacteria MRSA, destroys yeast, virus, bacteria, etc. It has been scientifically proven... I am attaching some papers that I gathered for your reading. It's not the same silver that has been on the market that people make. You can drink this for 50 years and never get sick, effect your organs or turn blue.

Dr Pedersen, well known toxicologist, has done major studies on this silver....he was here a year ago and what a great speaker.
Anyway, Silver Sol is good for everything and especially this flu. I now take a tea spoon about every 4-5 hours. I'm well for the most part and am not planning on going without. As a preventative I use the gel in my nostrils when I travel on a plane or attend a function where I am shaking hands. It's so awesome. A tsp daily is enough to keep one healthy.
I see I have to place the papers under files..or somewhere. I will figure it out. enjoy.

If you didn't know, I had an herb shop and closed it this year. I have acquired many items and I also have 2 or 3 neti pots and will offer them at a good price. Let me know what price you see them for.

I'm all about health and wellness, if you have any questions, I will do my best to help you or direct you to good help.
Herbal Blessings, Sharon
prices listed are retail-you can get a discount-

my referral # 1192177-8 or call me directly, I keep it in stock.

Sharon Schulman, B...
SharonSchulman
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 10
Tried to add a link but it didn't take- let's try again
[url=naturessunshine.net/us/shop/topsellers/default.aspx]­[/url]
Mika
user 3637319
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 370
Oregano oil!

It is known to be a potent antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic oil that can reduce pain and inflammation and effectively fight off infections. Just make sure to verify that the oil is derived from the proper potent oregano plant, and that the carvacrol concentration is at least 70%. We use the oil filled capsules.

On a side note, if you are taking it for a prolonged period of time (which is fine), be aware that it could hinder the absorption of iron.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 106
Thought I'd bump this post up, given it's that time of year again. Anyone have more to share? I do have to add that since becoming vegan and adding more raw foods, we've been a VERY healthy family. I can't remember the last time we were sick. smile

I like the saying:
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food"!!

Carol brought up the topic of the flu shot last year and links good info. We've usually gotten vaccinated but have not done so this year. So I'd love to know. Do any of you get the flu shot and can you share your thoughts?

Thanks Sharon and Mika for your replies. Great info!
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 145
You might want to check out this book "The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick". I put a hold on it at the library but might be a while till I get to read it. Looks interesting though. I do notice my immune system being much better being vegan and trying to reduce the processed foods.

I don't get the flu shot anymore as the last time I got the flu shot I still had terrible colds most of the winter. I would be more likely to get a cold than the flu so that's why I don't get them.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 108
Thanks Lisa!

Also, Kevin Gianni just did an interview with Dr. Cass Ingram in regards to Oregano Oil. Since Mika brought the subject up last year I thought it would be fitting to post this interview. Plus, a lot of viewers responded and agreed/swear by it's healing properties.

Definitely one more thing to add to your smoothies wink

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2010/12/08/what-do-you-use-oregano-oil-for/­

(streaming during the first few seconds is slow but once you get to the interview it should be good to go)