add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 61
I was trying to figure out the recommended amounts of B-12 so I asked nutritionist Ryan Andrews. The more plant based diet you eat the more you want to make sure you are getting a adequate amount of B-12. Below are his recommendations.

Vitamin B12

* At least 2000 mcg once a week, ideally as chewable, sub-lingual or liquid supplement
* Or at least 100 mcg of supplemental B12 every day
* Or at least 2 servings a day (separated by at least 6 hours) of B12-fortified foods (20% of daily value on label)
user 3637319
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 368
I take this:­

It's vegan, sub-lingual, and also contains Vitamin B6 – 2mg (100% daily value) Folic Acid – 400mcg (100% daily value). smile I wanted to start giving it to my kids, but I haven't taken the time to find out if it's ok with the same dosage...anyone know? They are 10 and 8 years of age.

And does anyone happen to have a list of vege-foods that are high in B12?

Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 33
This is a good information sheet on B-12. At the bottom it informs you the best sources of B-12 for vegetarians and vegans.­

Here is another good article in regards to supplementing children

For my girls who are five and three, I give them a multivitamin with B-12 in it and buy enriched rice and almond milk that are fortified with B-12.
user 3637319
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 373
Thank you for the articles.

We also drink B12 fortified rice and almond milk, but I'm skeptical on how much of that even gets absorbed. From what I know about B12, and like what Lisa said, it's important to get the sub-lingual and/or liquid forms, because when it is in tablet form (including various vitamins) it is rarely absorbed by our bodies.

Having said that, I believe, in the big picture, as long as we consume a healthy and balanced diet, our bodies get everything they need without the addition of many supplements. smile
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 98
We subscribe the Renegade Health Show put on by Kevin Gianni. He has so many great topics. This one got me thinking about B12 again. I'm tempted to get my B12 tested to see where my levels are (and making this a yearly test), putting any of my doubts/questions to rest. I was unfamiliar with the B12 patch and am thinking about giving it a try. We currently take a vegan sublingual tablet. I didn't realize absorption was really an issue until Mika brought it up and have since heard others talk about "actual absorption" as well. Has anyone tried the B12 patch? We don't seem to have any of the symptoms of a B12 deficiency but I have been experiencing more fatigue (or maybe it's the heat living here in Las Vegas smile). We are craving the cleaner cool, crisp, CO air!

Scroll to 2:10 if you don't want to hear his intro or comment to first question.­­