add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Can you be a vegetarian, vegan or raw food athlete and what about the PROTEI

Can you be a vegetarian, vegan or raw food athlete and what about the PROTEIN MYTH!

Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 47
Yes, Yes, Yes you can!

Being big into fitness, I've recently been researching vegan athletes. I ran across a few websites that I thought I'd share. I love seeing these athletes turned vegetarian or vegan and performing just as well, if not better than their teammates/opponents. My research on this was also sparked by a video my husband showed me basically saying CrossFitter's can't be vegetarian/ need the protein in meat to be successful (CrossFit is a type of workout my husband and I enjoy doing). I'd love to be one to prove them wrong! Here is a link to the video­ (for the record...I can do pull ups, squats, sit ups etc. required in a CrossFit work out and it didn't take eating meat to get there). This gal was a little too willing to go back to eating meat - not sure why she was vegetarian in the first place.­ - great tips, yummy recipes (article on pro-football player, Tony Gonzalez, turning vegan after reading The China Study. Watch the video, it's awesome to hear this big football player talk about how to make his healthy shake. There are a few extra athlete stories on the left as well.)­ - found out about The Vegan Coach on his website.­

I've already talked about Brendan Brazier in a previous post on Vegetarian Books for Men....I'll list his site again since he fits this topic.­

As a vegetarian or vegan athlete you can Be healthy, train hard, and be strong!
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 54­
Georges Laraque is a pro hockey player and vegan (turned in summer of 2009 inspired after watching the documentary Earthlings)! Read more on his website above.

Vegetarian pro baseball player Prince Fielder (inspired by the book Skinny Bitch)
Vegan pro baseball player Pat Neshek (inspired by The China Study)­
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 60
Okay, sit down with a nice hot cup of Green Tea and watch some fun/interesting videos....

This guy is pretty amazing (and kind of funny)!
Tim VanOrden is a raw food athlete. It all started as an experiemnt to prove that you could be an athlete on a raw diet. He is having amazing results.
Here's his home page (check out his race results page...the guy is fast):­

Here is his video on how to make his green smoothie which includes Kale :)! He has interesting advice on how you need to "chew"your smoothie not guzzle it (which I'm guilty of). His humor makes this one more fun to watch!­

Okay, so here is some interesting info on "protein". He literally doesn't get enough protein (or at least what our society says we need to be getting). So why is he able to out power 20 year olds on that stairs of the Sears Tower? He basically builds his muscle from amino acids in the form of enzymes. Protein is the "middle man". Makes so much sense when you listen to him describe this "myth"....­

Watch a few vegans and raw foodists (like the West Coast Labels Team, Brendan Brazier and some interviews with those competitors who have been influenced by Tim VanOrden's "raw food experiment") power up the stairs of the 2009 Willis/Sears Tower Stair Climb.­

Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 65
I know I'm bombarding everyone with these athletes and stories but I love having more "fuel for the fire"! I hope these stories help play a roll when and if you find yourself debating your lifestyle choice with someone who says you need meat or you need the protein in meat. Or maybe this is a new venture for yourself and these facts, stories, successes will help inspire you to continue on.

Rich Roll - one of Men's Fitness magazine's "25 Fittest Guys in the World" in 2009, was the first athlete to compete in the Ultraman World Championships on an entirely plant-based diet. He placed 11th overall and was the third-fastest American.

Here's his interview for PETA:­

Here's the featured article that CNN did on him­
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 68
Martina Navratilova: Plant-Based Diet is The Best

Six weeks before her 50th birthday she won the US Open Mixed Doubles. She feels her plant based (vegan) diet is what allowed her to play great Tennis through her 40's and made it possible for her to endure the physical conditioning it takes to compete at that level. She gives great info in this video (particularly good for someone who might be new to or thinking about going to a plant based lifestyle)! I like how she says "plant based foods give you the most nutrients for fewer calories". She's definitely an inspiration!­
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 81
Rip Esselstyn

Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter in Austin, TX and author of THE ENGINE 2 DIET. He was a professional triathlete for over a decade and before that an All-American swimmer at the University of Texas.

Rip's Fire House in Austin Texas turned vegetarian!! This is GREAT....­

Rip teaming up with Dr. Oz to help firefighter's lose weight, drop cholesterol and drop blood pressure!
Part 1­
Part 2­

"The Engine 2 Diet" Author Rip Esselstyn breaks 200yd Backstroke National Record (for his age group 45-49) -­
Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 5

Thanks for all the good links! My nephew swam for UT so I asked if he knew Rip and he wrote this back. ;-)

"Rip is a good friend of mine. He swims with the masters team that I coach and is now an employee of Whole Foods and is leading their healthy eating initiative. I have his book sitting in my office. He's in amazing shape (can challenge me in the pool any day) and does it all on a vegan diet. Good guy."

Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 82
Wow....small world! Thanks Betsy for sharing his reply.
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 92
Former NBA Star John Salley! Visit his website below and see some of his media clips - especially his visit to the Dr. Oz show to help a former teammate get back in shape.­

Here's an interview (below) he did for Robert Cheeke on Earth Day 2010. He mentions he's the new Executive Producer on Simply Raw: reversing diabetes in 30 days. We purchased this DVD documentary and it's really good - so fascinating (see trailor link below)!­

Simply Raw : Reversing Diabetes in 30 days website/trailer:­

A former member
Post #: 3
oh WOW! Thanks for the recent post on here...I'm new to the group (just joined last month) and have been studying on my own about being vegan and an athlete. Thank you Shannon for posting all of the info...I have more things to watch/read up on now! Excited!!