Colorado Springs Vegan & Vegetarian Group Message Board › Now in Colo Spgs!!!

Now in Colo Spgs!!! Bountiful Baskets Food CO-OP - here's a way to get a basket full of conventionally/organically grown produce at a great price!

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 103
Although I still have very strong ties to CO, the Air Force recently re-located us to Las Vegas. We found a wonderful food CO-Op that anyone can start in their own community. If we were still living in C.Springs, this is something I would do/start in a heartbeat. I want to share with you all the info and see if it is something any of you or mabye the Veg Group as a whole would be interested in starting.

Basically, we log on every Monday afternoon at Noon to buy our baskets ($15.00 for conventionally grown and $25 for organically grown), you can then add on whatever else is available for example this week we could of added on a basketball size pumpkin for $3.50, 5 loaves of 9 grain bread for $10.00, 2 lb. bag of granola for $10.00, pumpkin pie pack for $6.00, 24 lb. of pomegranate for $18.50, 40 lbs.of domestic pears for $24.00.

On pick-up day, Saturday morning, a truck shows up at the site with all the pre-ordered produce and then volunteers sort fruit and veggies for pick up. People show up with their laundry baskets and then you are filled up with great produce to last you the week or longer.

Volunteers are key since ultimately you are all in this together - pooling money to get great produce at low cost.

Our last organic basket (which is a little smaller than the conventional basket) was full of beets, cauliflower, apples, grapes, romaine lettuce, bananas, tomatoes carrots, celery. You can order up to 3 baskets. My friend's basket last saturday was the conventional and for $15.00 she got (based on the picture she sent out):
a bag of carrots
a container of cherry tomatoes
2 red pepper
a bag of celery
a bunch of bananas
2 artichokes
2 yellow onion
1 cantaloupe
a bag of green grapes
10 kiwi
7 apples
4 tomatoes
2 heads of romaine lettuce

Here in Vegas we have 9 different pick-up locations that people have started. This morning when I logged on there were 95 baskets available at our preferred location and now (1 hour later) there are only 53 available (they go quickly)!

The link to their home page is:
http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/­

With the veg group alone you can get something started and I bet the word would spread quickly!

Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 8
Shannon,

I remember a previous post where you mentioned you'd be moving and I was sorry to hear that. I hope you will like Las Vegas and so glad you got hooked up with this Bountiful Baskets group! Thanks for keeping in touch with the group here, you always added so much! Betsy
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 104
Thanks Betsy! We are doing our best to enjoy Vegas but miss CO so much. Hopefully in a few years we'll be back.

Heather
user 3225683
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 3
Thanks Shannon! This sounds and looks great...we'll talk so I can maybe get something started with the veg group here in the Springs. If anyone else is interested in participating, let me know.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 133
I recently started my own Bountiful Baskets site here in Las Vegas because I became a huge fan. The only unfortunate part is you aren't joining a CSA type group where you support a local farmer, however, the produce is good quality and they do offer a organic option. You also get 50% veggies and 50% fruit. They try to keep it in season and varied. You won't know what you get each week until you show up that morning. I've noticed most of the produce comes from Mexico and California.

I was just on the site today and noticed someone has started a site in Colorado Springs off of Chestnut and Garden of the Gods (at Colorado Springs Academy of Music and Dance). They are only running on week A which will fall next week on Sat. August 6th and go every other week.

To participate, log onto the BB website. Every week you want to order (it's a week by week commitment) log on in the time frame specified (usually Monday at Noon), find your site and order you basket. I'm not sure how many baskets they are offering but as it becomes more popular and word gets out, the baskets will go quickly so set a reminder on your phone each week to order! It's 16.50 for conventional and 26.50 for organic. They will also offer additional add ons like bread (5 loaves), tortillas, coffee cake, granola, mexican packs (awesome!), in season crates of produce (I've done the pickling cucumbers and organic Mangos....REALLY GOOD!) and so on. You'll pay online and then you only have a 20 min. window to get it picked up on Sat. morning or else it gets donated. Looks like the pick up time there is 7:00 a.m. so you have from 7:00 to 7:20 to get it picked up.

If you can volunteer, show up at 6 a.m and help load baskets and break down boxes. If you love it and want to open your own site close to your home, have the site coordinator train you and you'll be on your way!! It's very rewarding to open/run your own site and be part of spreading the fruit and veggie love at a great price!

*Bring your own bag or basket to load your produce. Organic usually comes pre-boxed. ENJOY! I'm so glad it's made it's way to C.Springs :-)

*The current offerings will not show up until each Monday at Noon and the window closes each Tues. afternoon.

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 152
Has anyone tried Bountiful Baskets yet? Looks like another site has opened out in the Falcon area. We are moving back to the Springs this summer. I'm tempted to start a site off of Powers. Our site in Vegas is going strong. Last weeks baskets had:
6 Braeburn Apples
14 Jerusalem Artichokes
1 Pineapple
5 Bananas
3 English Cucumbers
13 Key Limes
2 heads of Romaine
4 Mango
7 Oranges
1 bunch of Spinach
2 Yellow Squash
6 Roma Tomato
ALL for $16.50 (conventional)

Example of other offerings:
add on an Italian veggie pack for 8.50 (filled with all the herbs and veggies you need for an Italian meal)
2 lb. bag of granola for $10
5 loaves of organic 9 grain bread for $12
5 loaves of organic multigrain omega 3 bread $12
25 lbs. of Hard Red Northern Wheat Berries for $16.50
14 lb. fruit lovers add on pack for $12
20 lb. comice pears from Washington for $11.50
10 lb. organic heirloom tomatoes for $12.50

The Colorado sites still look to be every other week. This weekend is an off week but log on next Monday to get started.